1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal complement of even functions

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let the ##\mathbb R##- vector space ##C([-1,1])=\{f:[-1,1] \to \mathbb R\ : f \space \text{is continuous}\ \}## with the inner product ##<f,g>=\int_{-1}^1 f(t)g(t)dt##. Determine the orthogonal complement of the subspace of even functions (call that subspace ##S##).

The attempt at a solution.

Straight from the definition of orthogonal complement, ##g \in (C([-1,1]))^\bot## if and only if ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt=0## for all ##f## even function. By hypothesis, ##f(-t)=f(t)##, so ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(-t)dt=0## From this condition I don't know what else to conclude. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Some things to try:

1) The function ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x## is an even function. We want an element of ##S## to be orthogonal to that, what does that imply for functions in ##S##?

2) Can you give some (nontrivial) examples of functions in ##S##?

4. May 29, 2014 #3
    Hmm, for 1), the only thing I can think of is something that follows trivially, which is: ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)dt=0##.

2) Yes, I can think of ##\sin(x)##, which is an odd function. Suppose ##g## is odd, then ##\int_{-1}^1 g(-t)f(-t)dt=-\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt=0## since ##g(-t)=-g(t)## and ##f(-t)=f(t)##, then the set of odd functions (subspace) is included in ##S##.

Is there any other function which belongs to ##S##? I don't know what you are trying to insinuate me in 1).

5. May 29, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Forget about (1), it was just to give you some more intuition.

But it seems you now have a good conjecture. Is ##S## exactly the set of odd functions or not? I think you should try to prove that it is.

6. May 29, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Every function can be written as the sum of an even function and an odd function. Thus, given an arbitrary [itex]g \in C([-1,1])[/itex], we have [itex]g = f + h[/itex] where [itex]f \in S[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] is odd. It would be worth looking at [tex]
    \int_{-1}^1 f(x)g(x)\,dx = \int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_{-1}^1 f(x)h(x)\,dx.
    [/tex]

7. May 29, 2014 #6
    I want to check if this is correct:

Taking your suggestion, ## \int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_{-1}^1 f(x)h(x)\,dx=\int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx =\int_{-1}^0 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx##. Making the substitution ##x=-t##, I get ##\int_{-1}^0 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=-\int_1^0 f(-u)du+ \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=\int_0^1 f(u)du+ \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=2\int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx##

But this means ##\int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=0 \implies f^2(x)=0 \implies f(x)=0##. From here it follows ##g=h##, but ##h## is an odd function so ##g## is odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted