1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Eigenvector, Proof is bothering me

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Suppose

[tex]A\overrightarrow{x}=\lambda_1\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]
    [tex]A\overrightarrow{y}=\lambda_2\overrightarrow{y}[/tex]
    [tex]A=A^T[/tex]

Take dot products of the first equation with [tex]\overrightarrow{y}[/tex] and second with [tex]\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]

ME 1) [tex](A\overrightarrow{x})\cdot \overrightarrow{y}=(\lambda_1\overrightarrow{x})\cdot\overrightarrow{y}[/tex]

BOOK ... skipped steps but only shows this 1) [tex](\lambda_1\overrightarrow{x})^T\overrightarrow{y}=(A\overrightarrow{x})^T\overrightarrow{y}=\overrightarrow{x}^TA^T\overrightarrow{y}=\overrightarrow{x}^TA\overrightarrow{y}=\overrightarrow{x}^T\lambda_2\overrightarrow{y}[/tex]

Now it looks like I have to transpose my first step, but if I do so, do I assume that [tex]y=y^T[/tex]?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that the dot product of two vectors is just a matrix multiplication. E.g. if we take [itex]\vec x, \vec y[/itex] to be (n x 1) column vectors then the dot product is just
    [tex]\vec x \cdot \vec y = \vec x^T \vec y[/tex]
    where the right hand side is just matrix multiplication of an (1 x n) with an (n x 1) matrix. Then the solution easily follows. Try to write it out and indicate what is being done in each step.

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't, they are not the same.

What you are doing is thinking of the dot product [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] as the matrix product [itex]\vec{u}^T\vec{v}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] are "column" matrices and [itex]\vec{u}^T[/itex] is the "row" matrix corresponding to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. It Then follows that [itex](A\vec{x}\cdot\vec{y}= (A\vec{x})^T\vec{y}= \vec{x}^TA^T\vec{y}[/itex] which, because AT= A is the same as [itex]\vec{x}^TA\vec{y}= \vec{x}\cdot A\vec{y}[/itex]. It is not that [itex]\vec{y}^T= \vec{y}[/itex], you never have "[itex]\vec{y}^T[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?