1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Transformations with Eigenvalue 1

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that an orthogonal transformation T in Rm has 1 as an eigenvalue if the determinant of T equals 1 and m is odd. What can you say if m is even?

The attempt at a solution
    I know that I can write Rm as the direct sum of irreducible invariant subspaces W1, W2, ..., Ws which are mutually orthogonal and have dimension 1 or 2. They can't all have dimension 2 for otherwise m would be even. Thus, there is at least one with dimension 1, say W1. For any nonzero w in W1, T(w) = w or T(w) = -w. In the former case, we're done. The latter case is giving me problems though. If T has -1 as an eigenvalue, I imagine that the determinant of T will not be 1 anymore (since I haven't used this fact), but I don't understand how. Any tips?

Oh, and if m is even I imagine that T may not necessarily have eigenvalues since it's minimal polynomial may be multiples of powers of irreducible quadratics.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi e(ho0n3! :smile:

Hint: you haven't yet use the fact that the determinant is the product of the individual determinants. :wink:

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    And where would I use that fact exactly? I'm not calculating the determinant of a product as far as I know.

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem …

but what can you say about the determinant of one irreducible subspace? :smile:

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5
    Nothing. Determinants are defined for matrices and linear transformations, not subspaces. Hmm...but now you've made me think of the following:

Since we're told that the determinant of T is 1, does that mean the determinant of the restriction of T to each irreducible subspace is 1 as well? I know that for an irreducible subspace of dimension 2, T has determinant equal to 1. For an irreducible subspace of dimension 1, then it could be 1 or -1 depending on the eigenvalue of T on this subspace. Right?

7. Nov 23, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly! :smile:

And there's an odd number of dimension-1 subspaces, so … ? :wink:

8. Nov 23, 2008 #7
    So, if the determinant of T on each of the dimension-1 subspaces is -1, then the determinant of T on the direct sum of these one-dimensional subspaces is -1, right? (And also analogously for the two-dimensional subspaces.) Let's write Rm = U + V where U is the direct sum of the one-dimensional subspaces and V is the direct sum of the two-dimensional subspaces. Since the determinant of T on U is -1 and the determinant of T on V is 1, does that mean the determinant of T on U + V is -1?

9. Nov 23, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes …

so how many of the individual 1-dimensional subspaces can have negative determinant? :smile:

10. Nov 23, 2008 #9
    An even number of them. So we have at least one 1-dimensional subspace where T has determinant 1 and so T has eigenvalue 1. Right?

11. Nov 23, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

12. Nov 23, 2008 #11
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?