1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of eigenfunctions with continuous eigenvalues

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

With knowledge of the orthogonality conditions for eigenfunctions with discrete eigenvalues, determine the orthonormal set for eigenfunctions with continuous eigenvalues. Use the definition of completeness to show that | a(k) |^2 = 1.

2. The attempt at a solution

The first step is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the integral is only equal to 0 when k' = k. (The same condition as the kronecker delta.)

Next:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After here I get a bit lost, even though I think this is almost the solution. My work differs from the course notes and a QM book I've looked through. They both have an integration with respect to k for the RHS, not x.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

no. the right hand side is always equal to zero except when k'=k

The very first line is incorrect. The RHS should not be integrated over x but rather over k.

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    Should I integrate the RHS w.r.t. k, multiply both sides by the conjugate of Phi and then integrate both sides over x?

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

First... get the definition of [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] in terms of a(k) and [itex]\phi_k(x)[/itex] correct.

Then square psi(x) (which is in terms of a(k) and phi(k,x) now) and integrate over x using the "first step" you mention in the OP.

Use the fact that psi(x) is normalized to see that a(k) is is normalized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?