Oscillating system (small board on a halfpipe)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the period of oscillation of a system consisting of a mass m attached to a half-pipe with mass M on a frictionless surface. The equations for rotational and translational energies are set up, but the approach using energy is unclear. Small amplitude motion is assumed and the possibility of using Lagrangian mechanics is mentioned. The inclusion of forces in the energy equations is also discussed. There is uncertainty about whether there should be a force component of the system force on the board and if a purely energy solution can be found using the center of mass.
pinsky
Hello there!

I have a situation as follows:

[PLAIN]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4026/kuglananagibu.gif

I have to find the period of oscillation of the system. I've know how to set the equations for when solving the equations with forces, but am lost when trying to solve it with energy.

There is no friction between any of the surfaces.

My assumption is that there should be three energies interchanging here.

Rotationl energy of m (around the center of the circle with radius R)
[tex]W_{rot}=1/2 mR^2 \omega[/tex]

And translational energies of M and m.
[tex]W_{trans}=1/2 Mv^2 + 1/2m v^2\omega[/tex]

Any ideas where to go form here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]mgR(1-cos(\phi))+\frac{1}{2}mR^2{\omega}^2=c_0[/tex] with [tex]\omega=\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex].

You also might find usefull the trigonometric identity [tex]cos(\phi)=1-2sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})[/tex]. If you consider small amplitudes then you can also take the approximation [tex]sin^2(\frac{\phi}{2})=(\frac{\phi}{2})^2[/tex]. If you use both you ll end up with a differential equation that doesn't look simple , yet it has solutions of the form [tex]\phi(t)=asin(bt)[/tex]

Last edited:
Why do you include the kinetic energy of the half-pipe, does it move?

What you have here is similar to a physical pendulum? Do a Google search,

"period of a pendulum large amplitude oscillation" or something like that.

Thank you for your replays.

I should have metnion more explicitely, the halfpipe has a constant mass M and lies on a frictionless surface. Therefor is also oscillates.

pinsky said:

I should have metnion more explicitely, the halfpipe has a constant mass M and lies on a frictionless surface. Therefor is also oscillates.

Can you assume small amplitude motion?

Can you write down the Lagrangian for this system, T - V, and then solve the Lagrange equations of motion? What textbook are you using?

pinsky said:

Hm now it becomes really interesting. You have to add [tex]\frac{1}{2}(M+m)v^2[/tex] to the left hand side of the equation(i guess M oscilates horizontaly so his potential energy doesn't change). But apparently we need one more equation and i can think only one that uses forces though. If [tex]F_n[/tex] is the force between m and M then [tex]F_n-mgcos(\phi)=m{\omega}^2R[/tex] and [tex]F_nsin(\phi)=M\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Spinnor said:
Can you assume small amplitude motion?

Yes.

Spinnor said:
Can you write down the Lagrangian for this system, T - V, and then solve the Lagrange equations of motion? What textbook are you using?

I'm not on Lagrangian mechanics yet, it's first year physics.

Delta² said:
Hm now it becomes really interesting. You have to add [tex]\frac{1}{2}(M+m)v^2[/tex] to the left hand side of the equation(i guess M oscilates horizontaly so his potential energy doesn't change). But apparently we need one more equation and i can think only one that uses forces though. If [tex]F_n[/tex] is the force between m and M then [tex]F_n-mgcos(\phi)=m{\omega}^2R[/tex] and [tex]F_nsin(\phi)=M\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Shouldn't there also be a force component of the system force on the board? (Due to the acceleration of the halfpipe).

I don't see how including forces into energy equations could help. Maybe they could be connected by

Wk = x F (for the kinetic energy of the halfpipe)

it's just, I've never seen a scenario in which those two interact. Could there a purely energy solution be found by using the center of mass? Or perhaps that the center of mass doesn't move in the x direction?

1. What is an oscillating system?

An oscillating system refers to a physical system that exhibits periodic motion back and forth between two extreme positions. It can be a mechanical, electrical, or chemical system.

2. How does a small board on a halfpipe act as an oscillating system?

The small board on a halfpipe acts as an oscillating system due to the gravitational potential energy stored in the board as it moves up and down the curved surface of the halfpipe. This energy is converted into kinetic energy as the board moves back and forth, causing it to oscillate.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of the board on a halfpipe?

The oscillation of the board on a halfpipe can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the board, the shape and angle of the halfpipe, the force applied by the rider, and external factors such as wind resistance.

4. How can the oscillation of the board on a halfpipe be controlled?

The oscillation of the board on a halfpipe can be controlled by adjusting the force applied by the rider and the shape and angle of the halfpipe. The rider can also use their body movements to manipulate the board's motion and maintain balance.

5. What are some real-world applications of oscillating systems?

Oscillating systems have many real-world applications, such as in pendulum clocks, springs in car suspensions, and the movements of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions. They are also used in engineering for designing structures that can withstand vibrations and in musical instruments to produce sound waves.