1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillator driving frequencies

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    I've attached a graph to this post. Why is it that the periodic external frequency applied never starts at 0 on graphs like these?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It does start at 0 on the graph you posted.
    ##\omega_A## is the input frequency (or periodic external frequency). When ##\omega_A = 0##, the frequency ratio ##\omega_A\omega_0 = 0##.

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    Sorry my bad I meant the amplitude of the oscillations.

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the force has constant amplitude, at low frequencies the ##m\ddot x## term is small compared with the ##kx## term in the equation of motion, so the amplitude is approximately ##F/k##. That is why the amplitude doesn't go to 0 as the frequency goes to 0.

Note, these type of plots can be drawn in different ways, corresponding to different physical situations:

1. The force has constant amplitude, like your attachment
    2. The force amplitude is proportional to the frequency
    3. The force amplitude is proportional to the frequency squared (for example the unbalanced force on a rotating object)

You can also plot how the velocity, and acceleration of the system changes with frequency.

Most of those plots do go to 0 when the frequency is 0.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook