Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Osmotic pressure, question on derivation (TD)

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    I'm currently reading about thermodynamics and osmosis and I happened to stumble across this paper. There is one thing I don't really understand, though.. In chapter 8 the author wishes to give a thermodynamic explanation of the osmotic pressure so I've been reading through the derivation. When calculating the thermodynamic probability W (page 20), how do I go from (11) to (12)?

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0305/0305011.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2
    since v/V is small, the author expanded the expression in a Taylor series expansion and dropped any terms that are quadratic (or higher powers) in v/V, keeping only the independent and linear terms. This is called linearizing the equation - a very common device.

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    Would you mind elaborating on the taylor expansion?

5. May 17, 2014 #4
    a Taylor expansion is an expansion of a function in a power series. It is taught in calculus class. All you need here is the fact that 1/(1 + v/V) can be replaced with 1 - v/V when v << V. Do that and collect all the linear terms. For instance

(1+v/V)(1+2v/V)(1+3v/V) = 1 + (1+2+3) v/V + ...

where the dots represent quadratic or higher terms that were dropped from the equation.

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    I'm still not following. I solved it for the numerator, which yielded 1-(1+2+3+...)v/V. By reverse engineering (12), the denominator must be [itex]1-v/V_0[/itex]. But since the numerator was divided by V to obtain 1-v/V the denominator must too. How do I solve it for the denominator?

$$
    V_0/V - v/V
    $$

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. May 17, 2014 #6
    As I said, you can replace 1/(V0 - nv) = (1/V0)1/(1 - nv/V0) with (1/V0)(1 + nv/V0).

8. May 18, 2014 #7
    I did that, and now I get (after dropping higher power terms)
    $$
    (V/V_0)^{n-1} \cdot (1 - v/V + v/V_0 -2v/V + 2v/V_0 - ...) = (V/V_0)^{n-1} \cdot (1 - (1+2+3+...)v/V + (1+2+3+...)v/V_0)
    $$
    which leaves me with a (V/V_0)^(n-1) in front of the wanted expression. I don't see how to get around this.

9. May 19, 2014 #8
    bump

also meant to say (V/V_0)^n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook