Other career opportunities for a math major?

In summary, if you don't get into math grad, there are other options, but you might have to take on more debt to do them.
JasonJo
Hey,

I'm trying to find a good backup plan if I end up getting rejected from grad school again. This seems to be something that can and (probably) will happen. This is my 2nd time applying and if I don't get in this time, then I never will, because I tried really hard this time.

OK, anyway. If I don't get into math grad, what are some other options? I did a double major in applied and pure math. I took courses like probability, stochastic processes, computational geometry. While I liked all those, I didn't delve into it as deeply as my proposed grad interests. I really did put all my eggs in one basket.

I have no programming skills. I don't know how to use any sort of specialized computer programs, like any stats programs, photoshop, etc.

I was thinking about becoming a teacher. I am currently tutoring high school students in precalc and I enjoy doing it. I am considering sending off a Math for America teaching application. They have a nice fellowship program and they seem to do a good job placing teachers in the right situations.

Other than that, I don't really know what else I can do. I don't see myself picking up any programming skills in the immediate future. I haven't taken any coursework outside of mathematics for the last 3 years. Any work experience has been tutoring or related to math as well.

I have an offer of Masters admissions from NYU for next year, so if I don't get into any PhD programs, I can go to NYU. I might do this, but I am so freaked about taking on so much debt. I have written about this before and I just don't know what to do.

Any ideas? Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i prolly wouldn't do thr masters if ur going to get into debt. IS that like a MA for math?? Thats prolly not going to do much for your employability...and ur gonan waste money and time for it. If i were you, i would do somethign else that woudl give better job prospects.

Last edited:
I agree about the MA - probably a waste of time and money. (I did an MSc so I know!) If you like teaching then why not go for that? All good teachers (rightly) get a lot of respect, and that shouldn't change. What better job prospects are there? You might otherwise end up in a flaky finance house and have everyone detesting you...

Did you take the actuary exam?

I didn't go to school in the US, and as a biologist have no idea what maths grads should do, but specifics apart - society needs good teachers (whether or not it appreciates them), so if you love teaching, it'd be wonderful. And if you do get into graduate school, you can teach after that also.

The thing with teaching is that some states require certification, which essentially is an extra year of classes. Some states have an alternative, "fast-track" program. I had a student who participated in that, and there was a great deal of resentment from teachers who had gone through the more traditional route. It made his dealings with co-workers very strained, and eventually he left that school.

It might be a good choice, but there are some issues that may not be apparent.

Aerospace hires lots of math grads for things like algorithm development. Lots of jobs there if you are a US citizen.

What types of jobs can a math major pursue?

A math major can pursue a variety of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, actuarial science, education, and research. Some specific job titles may include data analyst, financial analyst, actuary, statistician, or math teacher.

Are there any non-traditional career paths for math majors?

Yes, there are many non-traditional career paths for math majors. Some examples include working in the tech industry as a data scientist, pursuing a career in consulting or operations research, or becoming an actuary for an insurance company. The skills and problem-solving abilities gained from a math degree can be applied to various industries and roles.

Do math majors need to have programming skills?

While having programming skills can be beneficial for a math major, it is not always a requirement. Some math-related jobs may require programming skills, such as working as a data scientist, but there are also many jobs where programming is not necessary. It ultimately depends on the specific career path a math major chooses.

What skills do math majors develop that are valuable in the workforce?

Math majors develop a wide range of skills that are valuable in the workforce. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to interpret and analyze data. They also have strong quantitative and computational skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

How can a math major stand out in a competitive job market?

There are several ways a math major can stand out in a competitive job market. Building a strong portfolio or completing internships can showcase practical skills and experience. Networking and attending career fairs can also help connect math majors with potential employers. Additionally, obtaining certifications or advanced degrees in a specialized area of math can make a candidate more competitive. Overall, highlighting transferable skills and relevant experience can make a math major stand out in the job market.