Robotics Team #1130 Wins at OMSI Competition

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the team from my daughter's school finished first in a informal competition yesterday at OMSI. They used a wheel to pull the ball to them and an elevator to lift it. They had trouble with torque and the overpass.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last spring I worked with my daughters FIRST robotics team. We did not do so well in the regional competition last spring. But yesterday 25 Oct we were part of a informal competition held at OMSI in Portland. There were 16 teams from around the Willamette Valley competing. Due some bad luck on the part of other teams and some hard work on our part we managed to finish the day as a member of the first place team.

Here is a video of our robot in action. We are # 1130.

Physics news on Phys.org
I LOVE OMSI...

This makes me wonder if my 8 year old cousin and his big kid of a dad were there. My cousin must go to OMSI like once a month...

Integral said:
Last spring I worked with my daughters FIRST robotics team. We did not do so well in the regional competition last spring. But yesterday 25 Oct we were part of a informal competition held at OMSI in Portland. There were 16 teams from around the Willamette Valley competing. Due some bad luck on the part of other teams and some hard work on our part we managed to finish the day as a member of the first place team.

Here is a video of our robot in action. We are # 1130.

Way cool, what are the specs?

The team a friend is part of won the First Robotics World Champs this year.

Wow, that looks like fun! Robot basketball! :biggrin:

Points are scored in the game by running laps (1pt/lap) "hurdling" the overpass (8pts) (in other words throwing the ball over the starting frame). You also got 12pts if you placed a ball back on the frame. You had to always move counter clockwise, if you passed over the lines under the overpass and at the ends of the court in the wrong direction points were lost.

In the OMSI competition the court was much shorter then the regulation court so they ran teams of 2 instead of 3. Also at OMSI the overpass was 6'2" high, at regional last spring it was 6'6", that four inches was critical to some robots. It actually helped us. Others were tuned to a specific height and did not function so well.

They really should have made some effort to get the overpass to the correct height, that is a critical feature of the game.

It looks great. I would love to work on projects like that.

you seriously have no idea how hard it is to think of that design. That wheel you see on our robot, was quite inventive, the traction pulls the ball to the robot, and then it uses an elevator to lift.
The biggest flaw with our robot is that we rarely considered torque so when the robot holds that ten pound ball in the air, it looks like it is swaying back and forth.
Can you believe that is how far we got with 30 students, 6 hours everyday for 6 weeks?

I am envious. My whole life I wanted to be part of something like this; but neither my grade school, high school, or university ever wanted anything at all to do with it.

The Japanese and the West Coast States of the US have always seemed so much more in tune with cool science. What is wrong with New York and New Jersey? The damn transistor was invented here!

silicon valley FTW!

What is Robotics Team #1130?

Robotics Team #1130 is a group of students who participate in robotics competitions and events, representing their school or organization.

What is the OMSI Competition?

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) is a science and technology museum in Portland, Oregon. The OMSI competition is an annual event where teams from different schools and organizations compete in various challenges related to robotics and engineering.

How did Robotics Team #1130 win at the OMSI Competition?

Robotics Team #1130 won at the OMSI Competition by successfully completing the challenges and tasks set by the competition organizers. They demonstrated their knowledge, skills, and teamwork in the field of robotics and engineering.

What does this win mean for Robotics Team #1130?

This win at the OMSI Competition means recognition and validation for the hard work and dedication of Robotics Team #1130. It also showcases their abilities and potential in the field of robotics and engineering.

What impact does this win have on the robotics community?

This win at the OMSI Competition has a positive impact on the robotics community by inspiring and motivating others to pursue their interests in robotics and engineering. It also highlights the importance of teamwork, creativity, and innovation in this field.