1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of balance rotating system

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    Figure Q4. illustrates a rotor assembly with out-of-balance rotor discs in planes A, B
    and C. The out-of-balance mass x radius products in planes A and C are as
    indicated in the figure. The out-of-balance mBrB in plane B and its angular position [itex]\Theta[/itex]B
    are such that the system is in static balance.

(a) Determine the values of mBrB and [itex]\Theta[/itex]B.

(b) If the system is to be dynamically balanced by adding balancing masses m1r1
    and m2r2 in planes A and C, respectively, determine their values and angular
    positions [itex]\Theta[/itex]1 and [itex]\Theta[/itex]2.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What don't you understand about part a?

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    well how to do it, in my lecture notes I says to take moments about a point, so I chose to go about point A. so from that I drew a moment polygon. I need to find sommething called a closing vectpr, I presume so thwt from point C I cwn return to point A therfore using some angles and other maths calculate a values for the question. I just dont know how to ge the closing vector.

5. May 6, 2013 #4
    sorry for the horrid spelling my tablet keyboard is crap

6. May 6, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook