1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of curiosity how is the contact force forumla derived?

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Hello!

I know that the contact force formula is
    Fc = F(m2/(m1+m2))

but I was wondering, how did this equation come into being? How is it derived? No this is not a homework question, I was just curious to know.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Consider two blocks with masses m1 and m2 placed side by side on a frictionless surface.

_-F->__|m1||m2|____
    If there's a horizontal force F applied to m1, and m1 and m2 remain in contact, then the blocks will be accelerating together, as if they were one object with a combined mass. (Newton's 2nd law)

(equation 1) F = (m1+m2)*a

Meanwhile, block 2 is being pushed on by block 1 (Newton's 3rd law), let's call this force F_21. Since block 2 is accelerating, and F_21 is the only force acting on it, we have (Newton's 2nd law, again)

(equation 2) F_21 = m2*a

Take equation 1, solve for a, then substitute into equation 2, and you get

F_21 = [itex]\frac{m2}{m1+m2}[/itex]F

Also, block 2 is pushing back on block 1 with a force F_12=-F_21 (Newton's 3rd law)
    However, this is not the total force acting on block 1 because we still have F from the left.

So F1(total) = F - F_21 = F - [itex]\frac{m2}{m1+m2}[/itex]F = m1*a, as expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook