Powering an LED strip from a car battery?

In summary, it is possible to power all the setup with a car 12V battery, and you don't need any led strip power amplifier.
Reinis
Hi everyone!

I am a new one to the world of the LED lights. However, I have an oncoming project with LED strips. There will be 3 separate runs of a LED strip (4 meters, 4 meters and 6 meters each). In each run LED strip will be put in 1 meter long LED strip profile. I am planning to connect the runs in parallel. The strip will be RGBW with RGBW controller (all the stuff I am planning to use is provided at the end). So, the question is: Is it possible to power all the setup with car 12V battery and what else do I need for that as the project will be on a motorized raft outdoors? What is the possible wiring diagram for the best result? Do I need any led strip power amplifier?

LED strip:

https://goo.gl/vp8LX9

LED strip controller:

https://goo.gl/ipRKv4

Physics news on Phys.org
You can buy stripes designed for 12V.. They have internal circuits and resistors. Just Google 12 volt led strip.

Likes berkeman
And you will want to compare the total power consumption of your LEDs and controller to the energy stored in the battery, to see how long you can run the lights on a single battery charge. Look at the Amp * Hour energy capacity of the 12V battery, and compare that to the Power (in Watts) * Time (in seconds) of the LED system to solve for how many seconds the system will run.

The energy stored in the battery is 12V * Amp * Hour * (3600 seconds/Hour)

berkeman said:
The energy stored in the battery is 12V * Amp * Hour * (3600 seconds/Hour)
You might wish to plan for somewhat more capacity than you expect to use on a single discharge. Lead-acid batteries have a longer life if they aren't routinely fully discharged on each cycle. A battery designed for 'deep cycle' operation will cope better but I have found it helpful to plan where possible not to discharge past maybe 50%. That is a very informal guess though - don't take that number as a precise guideline!

I run a couple of 12V white strips for lighting in my home workshop from a (mostly) solar-charged lead-acid battery and since I stopped regularly running the battery flat, I haven't had to replace it, for some years now.

Likes CWatters and berkeman
And keep the battery on a float charger when not in use.

1. How do I connect an LED strip to a car battery?

To connect an LED strip to a car battery, you will need to use a power inverter. This device converts the car's DC voltage to AC voltage, which is required to power the LED strip. You will also need to connect the positive and negative terminals of the inverter to the corresponding terminals on the LED strip.

2. What size power inverter do I need for my LED strip?

The size of the power inverter needed for an LED strip depends on the length and power consumption of the strip. Generally, for a small LED strip, a 100-watt inverter should suffice. However, for longer and more powerful LED strips, you may need a larger inverter with a higher wattage.

3. Can I power multiple LED strips from a car battery?

Yes, you can power multiple LED strips from a car battery as long as your power inverter has enough wattage to handle the combined power consumption of the strips. Be sure to check the total wattage of all the LED strips before connecting them to the inverter to avoid overloading it.

4. Can I leave the LED strip connected to the car battery while the car is turned off?

It is not recommended to leave the LED strip connected to the car battery while the car is turned off. This can drain the car battery and potentially cause damage to both the battery and the LED strip. It is best to disconnect the LED strip from the car battery when the car is not in use.

5. Is it safe to power an LED strip from a car battery?

As long as the proper precautions are taken and the correct equipment is used, it is generally safe to power an LED strip from a car battery. However, it is important to monitor the battery and inverter to ensure they are not overheating or being overloaded. It is also important to disconnect the LED strip when the car is not in use to avoid draining the battery.