Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overwhelming the odds

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    Gave my first lecture today, almost passed out before it commenced. So many of the great professors were in the audience, amazing thing is, once it started i got caught up in the maths, the nerves just faded away.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's hope the math was all good. :tongue:
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Always a nerve wrecking experience.
  5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Well done!!!!

Once you get into your comfort zone, you just seem to go on autopilot. Getting there is the hard part.
  6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

Great! What's the subject? What did your first lecture cover? Inquiring minds want to know!
  7. Oct 20, 2006 #6
    It was on classical mechanics, started off with variational principles and the lagrangian formulation from which Newton's laws can be derived. Then a section of Noether's theorem where I proved the homogeneity of space and time implied conservation of momentum and energy respectively. This also led to some insight into a deeper underlying structure between space and time.

Then it moved into sympletic geometry and the formulation of the Hamiltonian, next it was lorentz groups and rotations in R(3+1) and how the hyperbolic nature of space led to the fact that the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit.
  8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

Way cool. Wish I were there to hear it! :biggrin:
  9. Oct 20, 2006 #8
    I know how that goes, for project presentations the hardest part is finding a place to start. Once you start its not that bad. What's bad is when you make a slight joke you think is funny, but no one else gets it... That's never fun.

Awesome job though!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?