Overcome Odds: My 1st Lecture Experience

• Thread starter SeReNiTy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone giving their first lecture on classical mechanics, which included variational principles, Noether's theorem, sympletic geometry, and lorentz groups. They were initially nervous but once the lecture began, they got caught up in the mathematics and the nerves faded away. The conversation also includes congratulations and jokes about presenting, with the overall tone being positive and supportive.
SeReNiTy
Gave my first lecture today, almost passed out before it commenced. So many of the great professors were in the audience, amazing thing is, once it started i got caught up in the maths, the nerves just faded away.

Physics news on Phys.org
SeReNiTy said:
Gave my first lecture today, almost passed out before it commenced. So many of the great professors were in the audience, amazing thing is, once it started i got caught up in the maths, the nerves just faded away.

Awesome!

Let's hope the math was all good. :tongue:

Congrats!

Always a nerve wrecking experience.

Well done!

Once you get into your comfort zone, you just seem to go on autopilot. Getting there is the hard part.

Great! What's the subject? What did your first lecture cover? Inquiring minds want to know!

It was on classical mechanics, started off with variational principles and the lagrangian formulation from which Newton's laws can be derived. Then a section of Noether's theorem where I proved the homogeneity of space and time implied conservation of momentum and energy respectively. This also led to some insight into a deeper underlying structure between space and time.

Then it moved into sympletic geometry and the formulation of the Hamiltonian, next it was lorentz groups and rotations in R(3+1) and how the hyperbolic nature of space led to the fact that the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit.

SeReNiTy said:
It was on classical mechanics, started off with variational principles and the lagrangian formulation from which Newton's laws can be derived. Then a section of Noether's theorem where I proved the homogeneity of space and time implied conservation of momentum and energy respectively. This also led to some insight into a deeper underlying structure between space and time.

Then it moved into sympletic geometry and the formulation of the Hamiltonian, next it was lorentz groups and rotations in R(3+1) and how the hyperbolic nature of space led to the fact that the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit.
Way cool. Wish I were there to hear it! :biggrin:

SeReNiTy said:

I know how that goes, for project presentations the hardest part is finding a place to start. Once you start its not that bad. What's bad is when you make a slight joke you think is funny, but no one else gets it... That's never fun.

Awesome job though!

1. What is the purpose of your lecture on "Overcome Odds: My 1st Lecture Experience"?

The purpose of my lecture is to share my personal experience of overcoming adversity and achieving success, and to inspire others to do the same.

2. What inspired you to share your experience through a lecture?

I was inspired to share my experience after receiving numerous requests from friends and colleagues who were curious about my journey and wanted to learn more about how I overcame my challenges.

3. Can you provide a brief overview of what your lecture will cover?

My lecture will cover the obstacles I faced, the mindset and strategies I adopted to overcome them, and the lessons I learned along the way. I will also share practical tips and advice for others facing similar challenges.

4. Is this lecture suitable for individuals of all ages and backgrounds?

Yes, this lecture is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning about overcoming adversity and achieving success. It is applicable to people of all ages and backgrounds, as the lessons and strategies can be applied to various situations and circumstances.

5. What do you hope the audience will take away from your lecture?

I hope the audience will feel inspired and motivated to overcome their own challenges and pursue their goals and dreams. I also hope to impart practical knowledge and strategies that they can apply in their own lives to overcome any obstacles they may face.