Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paint on cars that change colour

  1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    i was wondering what this type of paint (the type you see on cars that changes colour as the car moves around) is called?

    and more importantly, how it works?

    is it just the different shades of light that reflect the different colours?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    The painters I know call it flip-flop paint. Not sure how it works, but some of the color changes can be dramatic. A friend of mine customized his wife's Harley and had it painted with a blue-purple flip-flop. It looks great when she drives by on a sunny day.
  4. Nov 10, 2007 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    The effect is called iridescence, and it's the same phenomenon observed when looking at soap bubbles, or an oil slick on water. Interference from light being reflected off different layers of the paint (or oil film) causes the object to appear different colours at varying angles of incidence.
  5. Nov 10, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    It sure messes up witnesses to a hit-and-run. :wink:
  6. Nov 10, 2007 #5
    cool, thanks for that
    its been on my mind for a while :smile:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook