Parabola standard form of equation at x = -5

In summary, the problem requires finding the standard form of the equation of a parabola with the given characteristics of a vertex at the origin, passing through the point (-5, 1/8), and having a vertical axis. After considering the given information, it can be determined that the parabola must be of the form y=ax^2. By plugging in the coordinates of the given point, the value of the parameter a can be found to be 1/200. Therefore, the standard form of the parabola's equation is y=x^2/200.
Joystar77
Find the standard form of the equation of the parabola with the given characteristics and vertex at the origin. Passes through the point (-5, 1/8); vertical axis.

I know that there is no focus of the parabola or equation given for this problem, so how would I solve this problem? Is the correct formula to use the following?:

x^2= 4py

Are these the correct steps to take?

1. Write original equation

2. Divide each side by number given.

3. Write in standard form.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
re: Parabola standard form of equation at x=-5

I have two different formulas for using the conic section of a parabola, can someone please tell me which is correct for this type of problem?

The first one is as follows:
Type: Parabola
General Equation: y = a (x-h)^2 + k
Standard Form: (x - h) ^2 = 4p (y-k)

Notation:
1. x2 term and y1 term.
2. (h,k) is vertex.
3. (h, k does not equal p) is center of focus, where p = 1/4a.
4. y =k does not equal p is directrix equation, where p = 1/4a.

Value:
1. a >0, then opens up.
2. a < 0, then opens down.
3. x = h is equation of line of symmetry.
4. Larger [a] = thinner parabola; smaller [a] = fatter parabola.

Type: Parabola
General Equation: x = a (y-k)^2 + h
Standard Form: (y-k)^2 = 4p(x-h)

Notation:
1. x1 term and y2 term.
2. (h,k) is vertex.
3. (h does not equal p, k) is focus, where p = 1/4a.
4. x = h does not equal p is directrix equation, where p = 1/4a.

Values:

1. a > 0, then opens right.
2. a < 0, then opens left.
3. y = k is equation of line of symmetry.

In this problem, find the standard form of the equation of the parabola with the given characteristics and vertex at the origin. Passes through the point (-5, 1/8); vertical axis. Would this problem be correct if I work it out this way?

The axis is vertical so I know that the vertex is (0,0).

y = a (x - h)^2 + k

Since, I know that the vertex is at (0,0), then I know that h = k = 0 and thought that this would be the proper way to work the problem out.

y = ax ^2

1/8 = 25a

a = 1/200

so, y = 1/200 x ^2

Is this correct way to work out this problem? If not, then can somebody please help me? I am a little confused on which formula to use for this problem.

Re: Parabola standard form of equation at x=-5

Personally, I would just look at the fact that the vertex is at the origin, which means, given the vertical axis of symmetry, that the parabola must be of the form:

\(\displaystyle y=ax^2\)

Now, using the other given point, can you determine the value of the parameter $a$?

What do you mean by parameter? Isn't the value of a = 1/200?

MarkFL said:
Personally, I would just look at the fact that the vertex is at the origin, which means, given the vertical axis of symmetry, that the parabola must be of the form:

\(\displaystyle y=ax^2\)

Now, using the other given point, can you determine the value of the parameter $a$?

Joystar1977 said:
What do you mean by parameter? Isn't the value of a = 1/200?

In this context, you can think of a parameter as a constant whose value we must determine. We are told the parabola passes through the point \(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(-5,\frac{1}{8} \right)\). And so you are right, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{8}=a(-5)^2=25a\implies a=\frac{1}{200}\)

And so we know the parabola satisfying the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{x^2}{200}\)

1. What is the standard form of a parabola equation at x = -5?

The standard form of a parabola equation at x = -5 is y = a(x + 5)^2 + k, where a is the coefficient of the squared term and k is the y-intercept.

2. How do I graph a parabola equation in standard form at x = -5?

To graph a parabola equation in standard form at x = -5, you can plot the point (-5, k) as the vertex of the parabola. Then, use the coefficient a to determine the direction and shape of the parabola. The parabola will open upwards if a is positive and downwards if a is negative.

3. Can I rewrite a parabola equation in vertex form at x = -5?

Yes, you can rewrite a parabola equation in vertex form at x = -5 by completing the square. This will give you an equation in the form y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola.

4. How do I find the y-intercept of a parabola equation in standard form at x = -5?

The y-intercept of a parabola equation in standard form at x = -5 can be found by plugging in x = 0 and solving for y. This will give you the value of k, which is the y-intercept of the parabola.

5. What is the significance of the value -5 in the equation of a parabola in standard form at x = -5?

The value -5 in the equation of a parabola in standard form at x = -5 represents the x-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola. It is also the value where the equation is symmetrical about the y-axis.