1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parachutist jumping from plane Conservation of Energy

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parachutist with mass m = 70 kg jumps from an airplane traveling at a speed v = 100 km/h at a height H = 2500 m and lands with a speed vf = 5.00 m/s. Use the “conservation of energy strategy” to calculate the change in internal energy of the system from just after the jump until just before landing. (1E6)

2. Relevant equations

PE+KE=PE[f]+KE[f]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking that where it talks about the airplane traveling at 100 km/h makes no difference in this problem. So the actual initial velocity would be vi=0km/h then I think I would calculate the velocity without Air Resistance and then factor in the difference of speed. Am I headed in the right direction.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

He will have speed 100 km/h initially. Don't forget to convert to m/s.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Why though? is the plane traveling downward?

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Direction is not important in calculating energy. The parachutist will have a horizontal speed of 100 - same as the plane - when he first lets go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook