Can Pure Math Experience a Paradigm Shift Without Experimental Validation?

• Thread starter Organic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary: The Mathematical Universe Hypothesis" (link in the summary) is a good read on this topic.In summary, the paradigm shift in mathematics is when the concepts in mathematics are changed to reflect a new perspective in regards to the ontology, formalism, and epistemology of mathematics. This new perspective may come from deep changes in our understanding of fundamental concepts like definition, logic, axiom, number, set, operation, limit, function, infinity, and so on. It is up to the new theory to pass various tests in order to gain acceptance and be considered a paradigm shift.
Organic
Hi,

A Paradigm Shift happens in physics mostly when fundamental concepts of some system are deeply changed by a new theory and/or new experimental results that supporting and/or triggering a new theory for enough long time.

Pure Mathematics has no experimental side like physics, therefore a Paradigm shift depends
on deep changes of our understanding fundamental concepts like: definition, logic, axiom, number, set, operation, limit, function, infinity and so on.

My question is this, because there are no experiments that determine the validity of some theory, what kind of tests can some new theory has to “pass” until a paradigm shift really happens in Pure Math?

Another question on the same subject:

What do you think is the “nature” of a paradigm shift in a pure theoretical system?

Thank you,

Organic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Revolutionary views on the philosophy of mathematics inevitably involve a novel perspective on the ontology of maths, the formalism of maths, and the epistemology of maths. These are the three major issues of mathematics.

Organic said:
Hi,

A Paradigm Shift happens in physics mostly when fundamental concepts of some system are deeply changed by a new theory and/or new experimental results that supporting and/or triggering a new theory for enough long time.

Here is a great page about Thomas Kuhn ("The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", 1962) and his ideas

http://www.emory.edu/EDUCATION/mfp/Kuhnsnap.html

Dear marcus,

I really want to know what do you think about a paradigm shift in pure mathematics?

Last edited:
Hi Stevo,
Revolutionary views on the philosophy of mathematics inevitably involve a novel perspective on the ontology of maths, the formalism of maths, and the epistemology of maths. These are the three major issues of mathematics.
Can you give an example of this novel perspective?

My question is this, because there are no experiments that determine the validity of some theory, what kind of tests can some new theory has to ?pass? until a paradigm shift really happens in Pure Math?

Usefulness.

"creative thinking"

Creative thoughts lead to a "Paradigm Shift" The mathematics come later. Is not mathematics proofs of what is already known.

Hi Hurkyl,
Hurkyl said:
Usefulness.
And what if a paradigm shift in some language (and Math is first of all a form of language) includes in it the meaning of "Usefulness"?

Last edited:
Rader,
Creative thoughts lead to a "Paradigm Shift" The mathematics come later.
Do you mean that a paradigm shift starting (in some sence) out of what is called mathematical system?

Organic said:
Hi Stevo,

Can you give an example of this novel perspective?

Bourbaki are one of the most infamous.

And the modern trend away from Bourbaki, too, mainly coming from the pedagogical influence in the last 30 years. (The let 2=n school.)

Organic said:
Rader,

Do you mean that a paradigm shift starting (in some sence) out of what is called mathematical system?

If all knowledge was in essence, mathematics, the answer would be yes. Although mathematical proofs exits, of things we are not sure exist, are they anything more than creativity? If all knowledge was in essece "Reality" mathematics would be a subset of it. Creativity seems to be a sign of genius, at least, that is what I have learned from history. Thats why I posted what I did. Creativity would be a tapping of that database, to change the paradigm, mathematics would be one of its finer tools.

That is the way I see it to be, mine being a world view of a non-mathematician.

Last edited:
The paradigm shift in physics has already occured, see http://paradigm.blogharbor.com

Mathematics was not capable of representing the true quantitative nature of the process of the Universe.

This new physics paradigm, through symmetry across the sub-atomic/atomic and biology domains, integrates science.

Stephen Mooney

1. What is a Chemical Compound?

A Chemical Compound is a substance made up of two or more elements that are chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio.

2. How are Chemical Compounds named?

Chemical Compounds are named based on the type and number of atoms present in the compound. The naming system follows specific rules set by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).

3. What are the properties of Chemical Compounds?

The properties of Chemical Compounds depend on the elements present in the compound and their arrangement. They can vary in terms of color, odor, melting point, boiling point, and reactivity.

4. How are Chemical Compounds formed?

Chemical Compounds are formed through various chemical reactions where atoms bond together to form new substances. These reactions can be caused by changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition of other substances.

5. What are some examples of Chemical Compounds?

Some common examples of Chemical Compounds include water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sodium chloride (NaCl), and glucose (C6H12O6). These compounds have different properties and are used for various purposes in our daily lives.