Parallel, intersecting, or skew

• Thread starter dswatson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary: If so, then there is a point that would be in common for both lines, so the lines would be intersecting. If not, then they are skew. In summary, the two lines L1 and L2 are skew since their x and z components match but their y components do not, indicating that there is no common point of intersection.
dswatson
Let L1 be the line parametrized by r1(t) = <t+1,2t-1,-t+2> and L2 be the line parametrized by r2(t)=<2t+6,-t-1,-2t-3>. Determine if L1 and L2 are the same, parallel, intersecting, or skew. I set x1=x2,y1=y2, and z1=z2 and the t does not equal ct so they are not parallel or the same line.

I then changed the parameters of L2 from t to s and set the components equal.

2s+6=t+1
t=2s+5
then plugged back into the equations.
I got 2s+5,4s+9,-2s-3=2s+6,-s-1,-2s-3

the z terms are the same so does that mean they intersect at some point?

I put this on a test and it was counted as incorrect and I was wondering how to correct it. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dswatson said:
Let L1 be the line parametrized by r1(t) = <t+1,2t-1,-t+2> and L2 be the line parametrized by r2(t)=<2t+6,-t-1,-2t-3>. Determine if L1 and L2 are the same, parallel, intersecting, or skew. I set x1=x2,y1=y2, and z1=z2 and the t does not equal ct so they are not parallel or the same line.

I then changed the parameters of L2 from t to s and set the components equal.
(This is the correct way to solve this problem.) There is no guarantee the the "t" in one parametrization is the same as the "t" in the other.

2s+6=t+1
t=2s+5
then plugged back into the equations.
I got 2s+5,4s+9,-2s-3=2s+6,-s-1,-2s-3

the z terms are the same so does that mean they intersect at some point?
When the z terms are the same, are the x & y terms also the same? If not, then that shows that the lines do NOT intersect

I put this on a test and it was counted as incorrect and I was wondering how to correct it. Thank you in advance.
Hello dswatson.

Some comments are in red above.

When you found t=2s+5 from the x (or x1 ) components, the the x should also match for the two lines.

If t=2s+5, then r1(t) = <2s+5+1,2(2s+5)-1,-(2s+5)+2> = <2s+6, 4s+9, -2s-5>.

Compare with: r2(s)=<2s+6,-s-1,-2s-3>

Both the x & the z match, but NOT the y. What do you suppose that means?

I would assume that the lines match in the x and z if looking at a graph but the lines would be at differnt points on the y-axis? is this why they are skew?

Is there any value of s that makes y match for the two lines?

1. What is the difference between parallel, intersecting, and skew lines?

Parallel lines are two or more lines that never intersect and have the same slope. Intersecting lines are two lines that cross each other at one point. Skew lines are two or more lines that do not intersect and are not parallel.

2. How can you tell if two lines are parallel?

If two lines have the same slope, they are parallel. Another way to determine if two lines are parallel is if they have the same y-intercept.

3. Can intersecting lines also be parallel?

No, intersecting lines cannot be parallel. Parallel lines never intersect, while intersecting lines cross each other at one point.

4. What is the difference between coplanar and non-coplanar lines?

Coplanar lines are lines that lie on the same plane. Non-coplanar lines do not lie on the same plane. Coplanar lines can be parallel, intersecting, or skew, while non-coplanar lines can only be skew.

5. How many points do parallel lines have in common?

Parallel lines have no points in common, as they never intersect.