Parallel string walking between two threaded cylinders?

In summary, the person is trying to make a cable-driven reduction system between a threaded rod (pinion) and a larger threaded cylinder. They have the following input data: - threaded rod M8 (7.8mm Major Diam, ~6.8mm Minor Diam, Pitch (is supposed to be) 1.25mm - but they measured more than 1.25mm with a ruler and graphical program. - large cylinder (Diam=120mm) - this one they will 3D print with the calculated threading. They have already done this procedure once assuming 1.25mm pitch but apparently they did something wrong. They think they have found their error after a while.
thorq
Hello, I have a problem that seems to have beaten me.

I want to make a cable-driven reduction system between a threaded rod (pinion) and a larger threaded cylinder. Because of string walking, the string between the two has to stay at all times straight, parallel to the ground so that triangulation is avoided.

I have the following input data:
- threaded rod M8 (7.8mm Major Diam, ~6.8mm Minor Diam, Pitch (is supposed to be) 1.25mm - but i had a macro picture next to a ruler and in a graphical program I could measure more then 1.25, about 1.33mm but can't be sure as the measurement is not exact.
- large cylinder (Diam=120mm) - this one I will 3D print with the calculated threading.

I have already done this procedure once assuming 1.25mm pitch but apparently i did something wrong during my calculations and now the threaded string on the pinion travels faster than the corresponding coil on the larger drum/cylinder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is my (apparently wrong) calculations and logic:

The coil on the bolt moves up or down with "P-pitch" mm at every bolt rotation so the coil on the drum must travel the same vertical distance to keep the line between the two entities parallel at all times. Since only so much string can be accommodated by the bolt at a complete turn, the compensation on the drum is in the steeper angle of the "imaginary" groove.

For example, an M8 bolt typically has a pitch of 1.25mm (coarse). The threading is a helix with a radius smaller than the 4mm, about ~3.325 actually, plus the radius of the string used (ex: 0.16). I used the calculator at https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/helix.php and got a string helical length of ~23mm for a 3.45mm radius helix over 1.25mm of height at an angle of 60deg.

So for each rotation of the bolt the coil on the bolt travels 1.25mm on up or down and winds or unwinds 23mm from the larger drum.

To keep up with this travel, the angle of the string on the drum should travel 1.25mm in height every 23mm, which translates to about 3deg of an angle (http://www.pagetutor.com/trigcalc/trig.html).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• screenshot.405.png
    screenshot.405.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I've found my error after a while. I haven't even wrote it in the description of the issue because I couldn't see it. So my calculations are ok except that after I get the 3deg angle for the helix on the larger cylinder/drum, I have wrongly calculated the pitch of the helix based on the diameter of the drum rather than the circumference of the drum.

So, to conclude this, the helical groove on the drum should have a 23.5mm pitch rather than my previous calculation of 12.5 because if you unroll the 120mm cylinder and draw a line at 3deg angle, the height between the starting point and the end point is this number.

But I am sure you know better math than me so this expl is most likely not needed.

Did you consider having a geared guide to lay the string on two smooth cylinders in the way you want? (like a fishing reel) It would be more complicated but it could force the string to keep parallel.
But, if the pitches are inversely proportional to the radius, it should take care of itself, I think. And your idea is much more sophisticated.
PS Can you be sure that the tension will always be enough to keep the string in the grooves?

I prefer complication in design and dumbness in mechanics. It would have been common sense to do this with a timing belt but instead I opted for Dyneema/Kevlar string. The tension on the string will be applied in such a way that it will be kept in the grooves, provided the grooves are the correct path, the path the string would take anyways if it was properly tensioned on a smooth cylinder. I want the grooves to take out any possibility of this predictable movement to go haywire.

The string will not rely only on friction on the large cylinder but while the middle of the loop will be coilde around the bolt/threaded rod, the ends will be on the larger cylinder, secured by knots.

What is parallel string walking between two threaded cylinders?

Parallel string walking between two threaded cylinders is a method used by scientists to precisely measure the distance between two points. It involves using a string that is threaded through two cylinders and then pulling the string taut to create a straight line between the two points. This technique allows for accurate measurements to be taken without the need for specialized equipment.

How does parallel string walking work?

Parallel string walking works by using the taut string to create a straight line between two points. The string is threaded through two cylinders, one at each point, and then pulled tight. This creates a parallel line between the two cylinders, allowing for precise measurements to be taken.

What are the advantages of using parallel string walking?

One of the main advantages of parallel string walking is its simplicity and low cost. It can be done with just a string and two cylinders, making it accessible to most scientists. Additionally, it allows for accurate measurements to be taken without the need for specialized equipment.

Are there any limitations to parallel string walking?

While parallel string walking can be an effective method for measuring distances, it does have limitations. It is most accurate when used for short distances, as longer distances may introduce more error due to the stretchiness of the string. It also requires a flat surface and precise alignment of the cylinders to ensure accurate measurements.

What other techniques can be used for measuring distances?

There are various other techniques that can be used for measuring distances, depending on the specific needs of the scientist. These include using specialized equipment such as laser measuring devices, GPS technology, or traditional measuring tools like rulers and tape measures. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific requirements of the experiment or study.

Back