1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametic y= sqrt(t +1) and y = sqrt(t-1)

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to eliminate the parameter and write in Cartesian form.

2. Relevant equations

y= sqrt(t +1) and y = sqrt(t-1)
    3. The attempt at a solution

If you were to just go for the gusto and square it out you will end up with 0 = 2. Clearly I'm missing something here. Just stumped. I don't think the right way to go is squaring and setting them equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you post the *exact* problem statement please?

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    Yep,

Eliminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve.

y = sqrt(t +1) , y = sqrt(t -1)

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think perhaps one of the y's is supposed to be an x.

6. Nov 5, 2013 #5
    Ha It is possible. There was a misprint on one of the graphs where it was supposed to say seconds and it was like hours. So I suppose. I just didn't know if I was missing something. Seems like you would just do as I said and square it and yatta but you get 0 = 2.

7. Nov 5, 2013 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless I am missing something obvious, I don't think it has a solution as given.

8. Nov 5, 2013 #7
    Not sure maybe someone else has ideas too?

9. Nov 6, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, cepheid is right. There is clearly a typo in the problem. It's just expressing y in terms of two contradictory equations in t. There should be an x in there somewhere.

10. Nov 6, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

These are NOT "parametric equations" and CANNOT be put in "Cartesian" form without an "x". As others have suggested, it must be [itex]x= \sqrt{t+ 1}[/itex] and [itex]y= \sqrt{t- 1}[/itex]. Yes, square both, then solve for t and set the two equations for t equal.

11. Nov 6, 2013 #10
    OK then there is a typo in my book. Thanks for the help I will bring it up in lecture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted