Parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parametric representation for the part of a plane that is inside a cylinder. The solution involves considering the plane as the surface inside the cylinder where y=0 and restricting the value of x to -4<x<-2. The resulting parametric equations are x(t) = cos(t), y(t) = sin(t), and z(t) = cos(t) + 3, where t is a parameter in the interval [0, 2pi]. This solution is a natural representation of the surface and is applicable to the given problem.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

find parametric representation for the part of the plane z=x+3 inside the cylinder x2+y2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

intuitively... the cylinder is vertical with the z axis at its centre. and the plane is the whole surface inside the cylinder where y=0... visually cutting the cylinder into 2 half cylinders. also intuitively this means we only have to restrict the value of x, since y=0 at all point in the given plane and all values of z are in the given plane and in the cylinder. so y=0 and z=z where z is an element of R and x+3 needs to be between -1 and 1 of the x coordinates of the cylinder so x needs to have restriction -4<x<-2... those signs are meant to be equal to as weel as greater/less than.

but how do i make up the parametric equations? and is that even right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to think that when looking straight into the cylinder, that is, at the XY plane from above, what you see is the very outline of the cylinder, so for this curve,

[tex]x(t) = \cos t[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = \sin t[/tex]​

How do you get [tex]z(t)[/tex]? From the equation of the plane, [tex]z=x+3[/tex]; yet we already have [tex]x[/tex] as a function of the parameter [tex]t[/tex], so

[tex]z(t) = x(t) + 3 = \cos t + 3[/tex]​

so the parametric representation of your curve should be

[tex]\mathbf{r} = \cos t \mathbf{i} + \sin t \mathbf{j} + (\cos t + 3)\mathbf{k},[/tex]​

where [tex]t \in [0, 2 \pi][/tex].

If you meant the surface inside the cylinder, all you have to is think of a trivial parametrization for a surface given in rectangular coordinates:

[tex]\mathbf{S}(x, y) = S_1(x, y)\mathbf{i} + S_2(x, y)\mathbf{j} + S_3(x, y)\mathbf{k}[/tex]​

For us, [tex]S_1(x, y) = x[/tex], [tex]S_2(x, y) = y[/tex] and [tex]S_3(x, y) = x + 3[/tex], where it's easily seen that the parameters [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] must vary such that [tex]x^2 + y^2 \leq 1[/tex], to stay within the bound determined by the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
what made you look at it from that angle? like why should i know to do that? any particular reason?

and to me it looks like youve found the parametric equations for inside the cylinder?
the question says find the parametric equations for the part of the place z = x +3 that is inside the cylinder. on that plane there is no value of y other than zero. so I am a bit lost?

ProPatto16 said:
what made you look at it from that angle? like why should i know to do that? any particular reason?

and to me it looks like youve found the parametric equations for inside the cylinder?
the question says find the parametric equations for the part of the place z = x +3 that is inside the cylinder. on that plane there is no value of y other than zero. so I am a bit lost?

You have z = x + 3 in terms of x and y. Since the x and y variables are to describe a circle, you might normally use polar coordinates r and θ. That gives you the standard equations for x and y:

x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)

for the domain. And it is easy to express z in terms of r and θ since you have z = x + 3 so

z = 3 + r cos(θ)

with appropriate r and θ limits to describe the circular domain.

the parametric representaion... is it simply [rcos[tex]\theta[/tex], rsin[tex]\theta[/tex], rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+3] where 0 < r < 1 and 0 < [tex]\theta[/tex] < 2pi ??

those signs would equal to also.

ProPatto16 said:
the parametric representaion... is it simply [rcos[tex]\theta[/tex], rsin[tex]\theta[/tex], rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+3] where 0 < r < 1 and 0 < [tex]\theta[/tex] < 2pi ??

those signs would equal to also.

Yes. That is a parametric representation of the surface. It isn't the only one but it is a very natural one.

1. What is a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder?

A parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder is a mathematical expression that describes the coordinates of points on the plane using one or more parameters. It can be thought of as a set of equations that define the position of the plane within the cylinder.

2. How is a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder different from other representations?

The main difference between a parametric representation and other representations, such as a Cartesian or vector representation, is that it allows for more flexibility and precision in describing the position of the plane within the cylinder. It also allows for more complex shapes and curves to be represented.

3. What are the benefits of using a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder?

Some benefits of using a parametric representation include its ability to accurately describe complex shapes and curves, its flexibility in adjusting and manipulating the position of the plane, and its compatibility with other mathematical concepts and equations.

4. How is a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder can be used to model and analyze the behavior of fluids, such as air or water, within a cylindrical container. It can also be used in engineering and design to create precise and efficient structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using a parametric representation of a plane inside a cylinder?

One limitation of a parametric representation is that it may be more complex and difficult to understand compared to other representations. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and equations to work with effectively. Additionally, it may not be suitable for describing certain types of planes or cylinders that have irregular shapes or dimensions.