1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrize sphere for Stoke's Thm

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the flux of [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F} = <x,y,z>[/tex] through the sphere [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} = 1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int\int_{S}Curl(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F})\bullet ds = \int_{C}\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}\bullet d\vec{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble parametrizing the surface S (the sphere of radius 1). I know I have to find a normal vector for the surface (which I know intuitivley is <x,y,z>) but I dont know how to get there if I have a different problem that is not so easy to see.

I tried parametrizing it in Spherical cordinates using two angles [tex](\phi, \vartheta[/tex]. Then I get for parametrzed equation

[tex]x = sin(\phi)cos(\vartheta)[/tex]
    [tex]y = sin(\phi)sin(\vartheta)[/tex]
    [tex]z = cos(\phi)[/tex]

which gives the Normal vector as

[tex]n = < sin^{2}(\phi)cos(\vartheta), -sin^{2}(\phi)sin(\vartheta), cos(\phi)sin(\phi) >[/tex]

This isnt right obviously...
    How am I suposed to parametrize a function in such as the ball???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2
    OK I found out what I needed...I was actualy mostly correct, aside from small computation errors :) Thanks anyway though
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?