Identifying Unknown Part: 60 Ohms, 50 nF

In summary: Given the resistance values and the fact that the fuse is still in the kilo ohms range, it looks like you may have blown it. You could try measuring the voltage across the fuse with an ohmmeter and see if it drops when you heat it up. If it does, then it's most likely the fuse. If it doesn't drop when you heat it up, then it's probably the circuit board.
DailyDose
Hey guys, I have no idea what in the world this part is. I Ohmed it out and it is about 60 ohms. I measured capacitance and it is around 50 nF. My first thought when I saw it was that it was a capacitor. But 50 nF... I talked to our technician and he mentioned a PolySwitch. I am a little skeptical of his answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pictures are attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 378
Engineering news on Phys.org
It could very well be a self-resetting fuse (a.k.a. a PolySwitch):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

If you heat it up with a blow-dryer or heat gun, and see the resistance go up dramatically from the nominal 60 ohms, you'll probably owe your technician a beer or few. Clarostat used to start their component naming with CTI, but Googling for the part number turned up nothing.

I did what you suggested and I am not sure what exactly I saw. I saw the resistance increase dramatically into the realm of megaohms but not never saw this resistance decrease. After giving it some time to cool down and then resetting my mulimeter, it still measure in the megaohms. But when I began to heat it up, the resistance decreased down into the kilo ohms. Did I potentially blow it up? Are these results expected from a self resetting fuse? Is there circuit test I can construct that would allow me to test and know for sure?

You probably overdid it. The self-resetting fuse is supposed to trip from the current going through it (which shouldn't be a great deal of heat). If it's still in the kOhm range at room temperature, it's probably pooched.

How did you measure the capacitance with a DC resistance of 60 ohms in parallel? A high frequency RLC meter?

Anyway, the square shape is most commonly associated with self-resetting fuses. Otherwise, it might be an inrush limiter, which starts out with a few tens of ohms and drops to a few ohms when hot.

1. What is the purpose of identifying an unknown part with specific values?

The purpose of identifying an unknown part with specific values is to determine its function within a circuit or system. This information can help in troubleshooting and repairing any issues that may arise.

2. How do you identify a resistor with a value of 60 Ohms?

A resistor with a value of 60 Ohms can be identified by its color bands, which represent the resistance value according to the standard color code. Alternatively, it can be measured using a multimeter.

3. What is the significance of a capacitor with a value of 50 nF?

A capacitor with a value of 50 nF (nanofarads) indicates its ability to store and release electrical charge. It is commonly used in filtering, timing, and power supply applications.

4. How can identifying unknown parts help in circuit analysis?

Identifying unknown parts can help in circuit analysis by providing information about the type of component, its function, and its expected values. This can help in understanding the behavior of the circuit and making accurate calculations.

5. What are the common methods used for identifying unknown parts?

The common methods used for identifying unknown parts include visual inspection, measuring with a multimeter, using a component tester, and referencing datasheets or online resources. In some cases, destructive testing may also be used.