Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative of convolution integral

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know how to take the partial derivative of a convolution integral where the derivative is taken with respect to one of the functions of the convolution integral?

In the following example, the best I can come up with is:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial g(t)}\int L(t-\tau)g(t)\,d\tau=\int L(t-\tau)\,d\tau[/itex]

Is this correct, or does it even make sense???

To put this in context, what I usually do (successfully) is perform the convolution integral in a simulation (without the partial differentiation) where [itex]L(t)[/itex] is the impulse response function of a system and [itex]g(t)[/itex] is the velocity of my system which is calculated on the fly during the simulation.

What I'm trying to do now is make a new simulation which relies on this partial derivative which I'm trying to express analytically before simulating it. If what I've expressed above is correct then all I need to simulate is: [itex]\int L(t-\tau)\,d\tau[/itex]

Thanks in advance...
    cdsi385

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be a convolution, it should have g(τ) inside the integral, not g(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook