Partial Derivative of Sphere in Terms of x and y

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Grufey
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post my question. If I'm wrong, let me know it.

The question:

Let us consider the functions [itex]\theta=\theta(x,y)[/itex], and [itex]M=M(\theta)[/itex], where M is a operator, but i doesn't relevant to the problem. I need to know the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}[/tex] in terms of x and y. Additional information: x and y are the longitud and latitude of a sphere, thus, every arc of sphere, θ, can be descomposed in two arcs, one associated to longitud and other associated with the lattitude. This is the aim of achieve the ∂M/∂θ in terms of x and y.

It's a trivial question, but I'm stuck...

This is my try...

[tex]dM=\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}d\theta=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

Therefore, I get, [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex] and[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}[/tex]

But, if this calculus are right, them ∂M/∂θ has two differents expressions, due to I get two equations. I'm stuck

Thanks in advance

Regards
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grufey said:
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post my question. If I'm wrong, let me know it.

The question:

Let us consider the functions [itex]\theta=\theta(x,y)[/itex], and [itex]M=M(\theta)[/itex], where M is a operator, but i doesn't relevant to the problem. I need to know the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}[/tex] in terms of x and y. Additional information: x and y are the longitud and latitude of a sphere, thus, every arc of sphere, θ, can be descomposed in two arcs, one associated to longitud and other associated with the lattitude. This is the aim of achieve the ∂M/∂θ in terms of x and y.

This is straightforward: if you know [itex]M(\theta)[/itex] and you know [itex]\theta(x,y)[/itex] then you can calculate [itex]dM/d\theta = M'(\theta)[/itex], and then [itex]M'(\theta(x,y))[/itex] will give you [itex]dM/d\theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

[tex]dM=\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}d\theta=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

Therefore, I get, [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex] and[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}[/tex]

But, if this calculus are right, them ∂M/∂θ has two differents expressions

It follows that the two expressions must be equal where defined, so that if [itex]\partial \theta/\partial x \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\partial \theta/\partial y \neq 0[/itex] at a point then you will have
[tex] \frac{dM}{d\theta} = \left. \frac{\partial M}{\partial x} \right/ \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} = \left. \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \right/ \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}[/tex]
but if either [itex]\partial \theta/\partial x = 0[/itex] or [itex]\partial \theta/\partial y = 0[/itex] at a point then the corresponding expression will be an indeterminate form [itex]0/0[/itex] and cannot be used to compute [itex]dM/d\theta[/itex] at that point. But you can always use direct substitution into [itex]M'(\theta)[/itex].
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

I have a few doubts. Accordingly with you, my calculus are right, perfect!. I'm not a complete foolish XD.

In order to check the result. I consider a function: θ=xy^2, then

[tex]\frac{dM}{d\theta} =\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}\frac{1}{y^2} = \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{1}{2xy}[/tex]

And therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{y}{2x}[/tex]

It does mean, the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Thus, the total derivative respect θ can be expressed using ∂M/∂x or ∂M/∂y alternatively. Is this the right reasoning?

Thanks in advance again!

Regards
 
Since M is a function of θ alone, the derivative with respect to θ is dM/dθ. Now, since θ is a function of x and y, the derivatives of M with respect to x or y are partial derivatives, and are given by the chain rule.

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial x} = \frac{dM}{dθ} \frac{\partial θ}{\partial x} $$
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{dM}{dθ} \frac{\partial θ}{\partial y} $$
 
Thanks Mark44 for casting more light on the problem. Now I'm completely sure of my calculus. My last question in this issue was if the reason is this, I quote: "the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Right?

Thanks
 
Grufey said:
Thanks Mark44 for casting more light on the problem. Now I'm completely sure of my calculus. My last question in this issue was if the reason is this, I quote: "the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Right?
This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand how θ being a function of x and y represents a constraint, unless θ is held constant.

By "partial derivatives respect x and y" do you mean the partial of M with respect to x and the partial of M with respect to y? And what do you mean by "dependent on each other"?
 
Mark44 said:
This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand how θ being a function of x and y represents a constraint, unless θ is held constant.

By "partial derivatives respect x and y" do you mean the partial of M with respect to x and the partial of M with respect to y? And what do you mean by "dependent on each other"?

I mean, the equations obtained, implies:

[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

This relation is due to M is a function of a single variable, θ, and θ=θ(x,y). And the variable x, and y are relate via the surface θ=θ(x,y). This is what I was trying to tell, when I said constrain.

Regards!