Partial Derivative of Sphere in Terms of x and y

In summary, Mark44's argument is that the partial derivative of M with respect to x is the same as the partial derivative of M with respect to y because the surface θ=θ(x,y) represents a constraint.
Grufey
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post my question. If I'm wrong, let me know it.

The question:

Let us consider the functions [itex]\theta=\theta(x,y)[/itex], and [itex]M=M(\theta)[/itex], where M is a operator, but i doesn't relevant to the problem. I need to know the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}[/tex] in terms of x and y. Additional information: x and y are the longitud and latitude of a sphere, thus, every arc of sphere, θ, can be descomposed in two arcs, one associated to longitud and other associated with the lattitude. This is the aim of achieve the ∂M/∂θ in terms of x and y.

It's a trivial question, but I'm stuck...

This is my try...

[tex] dM=\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}d\theta=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

Therefore, I get, [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex] and[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}[/tex]

But, if this calculus are right, them ∂M/∂θ has two differents expressions, due to I get two equations. I'm stuck

Thanks in advance

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grufey said:
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post my question. If I'm wrong, let me know it.

The question:

Let us consider the functions [itex]\theta=\theta(x,y)[/itex], and [itex]M=M(\theta)[/itex], where M is a operator, but i doesn't relevant to the problem. I need to know the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}[/tex] in terms of x and y. Additional information: x and y are the longitud and latitude of a sphere, thus, every arc of sphere, θ, can be descomposed in two arcs, one associated to longitud and other associated with the lattitude. This is the aim of achieve the ∂M/∂θ in terms of x and y.

This is straightforward: if you know [itex]M(\theta)[/itex] and you know [itex]\theta(x,y)[/itex] then you can calculate [itex]dM/d\theta = M'(\theta)[/itex], and then [itex]M'(\theta(x,y))[/itex] will give you [itex]dM/d\theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

[tex] dM=\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}d\theta=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

Therefore, I get, [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex] and[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial M}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}[/tex]

But, if this calculus are right, them ∂M/∂θ has two differents expressions

It follows that the two expressions must be equal where defined, so that if [itex]\partial \theta/\partial x \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\partial \theta/\partial y \neq 0[/itex] at a point then you will have
[tex]
\frac{dM}{d\theta} = \left. \frac{\partial M}{\partial x} \right/ \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} = \left. \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \right/ \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}
[/tex]
but if either [itex]\partial \theta/\partial x = 0[/itex] or [itex]\partial \theta/\partial y = 0[/itex] at a point then the corresponding expression will be an indeterminate form [itex]0/0[/itex] and cannot be used to compute [itex]dM/d\theta[/itex] at that point. But you can always use direct substitution into [itex]M'(\theta)[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

I have a few doubts. Accordingly with you, my calculus are right, perfect!. I'm not a complete foolish XD.

In order to check the result. I consider a function: θ=xy^2, then

[tex]\frac{dM}{d\theta} =\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}\frac{1}{y^2} = \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{1}{2xy}[/tex]

And therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{y}{2x}[/tex]

It does mean, the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Thus, the total derivative respect θ can be expressed using ∂M/∂x or ∂M/∂y alternatively. Is this the right reasoning?

Thanks in advance again!

Regards

Since M is a function of θ alone, the derivative with respect to θ is dM/dθ. Now, since θ is a function of x and y, the derivatives of M with respect to x or y are partial derivatives, and are given by the chain rule.

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial x} = \frac{dM}{dθ} \frac{\partial θ}{\partial x} $$
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{dM}{dθ} \frac{\partial θ}{\partial y} $$

Thanks Mark44 for casting more light on the problem. Now I'm completely sure of my calculus. My last question in this issue was if the reason is this, I quote: "the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Right?

Thanks

Grufey said:
Thanks Mark44 for casting more light on the problem. Now I'm completely sure of my calculus. My last question in this issue was if the reason is this, I quote: "the particle derivative in the variable x, is related with the partial derivative of the variabley. In other words, the surface θ=θ(x,y), represent a constraint, and thereby, the partial derivatives respect x and y, are dependient each other. Right?
This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand how θ being a function of x and y represents a constraint, unless θ is held constant.

By "partial derivatives respect x and y" do you mean the partial of M with respect to x and the partial of M with respect to y? And what do you mean by "dependent on each other"?

Mark44 said:
This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand how θ being a function of x and y represents a constraint, unless θ is held constant.

By "partial derivatives respect x and y" do you mean the partial of M with respect to x and the partial of M with respect to y? And what do you mean by "dependent on each other"?

I mean, the equations obtained, implies:

[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

This relation is due to M is a function of a single variable, θ, and θ=θ(x,y). And the variable x, and y are relate via the surface θ=θ(x,y). This is what I was trying to tell, when I said constrain.

Regards!

Related to Partial Derivative of Sphere in Terms of x and y

1. What is a partial derivative sphere?

A partial derivative sphere is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to analyze the rate of change of a function with respect to two or more variables. It is a three-dimensional representation of the partial derivatives of a function, where the x and y axes represent the independent variables and the z axis represents the partial derivatives.

2. How is a partial derivative sphere calculated?

The partial derivative sphere is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a function with respect to the independent variables and plotting them in three-dimensional space. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using software such as Wolfram Alpha or MATLAB.

3. What is the significance of the partial derivative sphere?

The partial derivative sphere is significant because it allows us to visualize and understand the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to analyze how a system responds to changes in multiple variables.

4. Can a partial derivative sphere have negative values?

Yes, a partial derivative sphere can have negative values. This indicates that the function is decreasing with respect to the corresponding variable. Positive values indicate that the function is increasing, and a value of zero indicates that the function is not changing with respect to that variable.

5. How is a partial derivative sphere related to the gradient vector?

The gradient vector is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a function. The partial derivative sphere is a visualization of the gradient vector, where the length and direction of the vector represent the magnitude and direction of the gradient. Therefore, the two are closely related and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a function.