1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative Signs Through Level Curves

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 2 from http://math.berkeley.edu/~mcivor/math53su11/solutions/hw6solution.pdf here.

I do not understand b) and e). How do I think of the slope with respect to y?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I do know that the partial derivatives are the slopes of the tanget lines. I do know that fx < 0 as the slope is negative there (at point P), but I do not understand how the slop in terms of y looks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you say "the slope", it's not clear what you mean because there is a slope in every direction from P for this function. If you did the correct procedure to figure out the sign of fx you should be able to do the exact same thing to figure out fy - why don't you elaborate on how you did fx?

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Well, the way I solved for fx was as follows: draw a cross section of the function's 2D hill image (similar to y=1/x). Then place my point p. As the line tangent through P has a negative slope, fx is negative. Actually, I would appreciate help with getting fxx as well - I don't understand how "b/c the x-slope becomes less negative as we move right" correlates with fxx. If fx is the tangent to the curve, then what is fxx geometrically? Answering that would help me a lot.

EDIT: Just googled the second derivative. Now I remember that it tells us the concavity of the quadratic. In this case, is that why fxx is positive? Is that the entire solution to part c) ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted