Deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses how to take the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to ##\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)## using the relations ##\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)}(\partial_i \mathcal{A}_j) = \delta^i_\mu \delta^j_\nu## and the chain rule. After expanding and using the chain rule, the partial derivative of the first term in the Lagrangian is found to be ##-\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu## and the partial derivative of the second term is ##\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}
offscene
Homework Statement
Given ##\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)(\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu)+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}^\mu)^2##, compute ##\frac{\partial{\mathcal{L}}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)}##.
Relevant Equations
Euler-Lagrange equations of motion.
This isn't a homework problem (it's an example from David Tong's QFT notes where I didn't understand the steps he took), but I am confused as to how exactly to take the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to ##\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)##. (Note the answer is: ##-\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu+(\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}^\rho)\eta^{\mu \nu}##)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write ##(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)(\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu) = (\partial_\lambda
\mathcal{A}_\rho)(\partial_\sigma \mathcal{A}_\tau) \eta^{\sigma \lambda} \eta^{\tau \rho}## and use the relations ##\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)}(\partial_i \mathcal{A}_j) = \delta^i_\mu \delta^j_\nu## to show that the partial of the first term of ##\mathcal{L}## with respect to ##\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu## is ##-\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu##.

Similarly write ##(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}^\mu)^2 = (\partial_\rho A_\sigma \cdot \eta^{\rho \sigma})^2## and use the chain rule to get that the partial of the second term of ##\mathcal{L}## with respect to ##\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu## equals ##\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}^\rho \cdot \eta^{\mu\nu}##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, offscene and topsquark
Euge said:
Write ##(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)(\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu) = (\partial_\lambda
\mathcal{A}_\rho)(\partial_\sigma \mathcal{A}_\tau) \eta^{\sigma \lambda} \eta^{\tau \rho}## and use the relations ##\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu)}(\partial_i \mathcal{A}_j) = \delta^i_\mu \delta^j_\nu## to show that the partial of the first term of ##\mathcal{L}## with respect to ##\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu## is ##-\partial^\mu \mathcal{A}^\nu##.

Similarly write ##(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}^\mu)^2 = (\partial_\rho A_\sigma \cdot \eta^{\rho \sigma})^2## and use the chain rule to get that the partial of the second term of ##\mathcal{L}## with respect to ##\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}_\nu## equals ##\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}^\rho \cdot \eta^{\mu\nu}##.
Thank you so much for your help, I have a question after using the chain rule on the second term. After expanding as you suggested and using the chain rule, I get: =##(\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}_\sigma \eta^{\rho \sigma}) \cdot \eta^{\rho \sigma} \delta_\mu^\rho \delta_\nu^\sigma## but this means we must substitute ##\rho=\mu## and ##\sigma=\nu## everywhere to satisfy the delta, however this gives ##(\partial_\mu \mathcal{A}^\mu) \cdot \eta^{\mu \nu}## which isn't the same as the answer right? I'm struggling to find where I'm going wrong here.

Note that ##\eta^{\mu\nu}## are constants, so they have zero derivatives. The partial derivative of ##(\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}_\sigma \cdot \eta^{\rho\sigma})^2## with respect to ##\partial_\mu\mathcal{A}_\nu## is $$2(\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}_\sigma \cdot \eta^{\rho \sigma})\cdot \partial_\mu\mathcal{A}_\nu(\partial_i \mathcal{A}_j \cdot \eta^{i j}) = 2(\partial_\rho \mathcal{A}_\sigma \cdot \eta^{\rho \sigma})\delta_{\mu i} \delta_{\nu j} \eta^{ij}$$ Can you reduce the latter expression further?

Likes offscene

1. What is the Lagrangian and how does it relate to Maxwell's equations?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is used in the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics, which is an alternative to the more commonly known Newtonian formulation. Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, can be derived from the Lagrangian by applying the Euler-Lagrange equations.

2. Why is it important to derive Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian?

Deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian provides a more elegant and unified approach to understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It also allows for the incorporation of other physical theories, such as relativity, into the equations.

3. What is the process for deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian?

The process involves applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to the Lagrangian, which results in a set of differential equations. These equations can then be manipulated and simplified to obtain the familiar forms of Maxwell's equations.

4. Are there any limitations to deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian?

While deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium and does not take into account any dissipative effects, such as resistance in electrical circuits.

5. How does deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian relate to other areas of physics?

The Lagrangian formulation is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various areas, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. By deriving Maxwell's equations from the Lagrangian, we can see the connections between electromagnetism and these other areas of physics.