1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives (related rates)

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car A is going north, car B is going west, each are approaching an intersection on their respective highways. At an instant, car A is .3km from its intersection while car B is .4 km from it's intersection. Car A travels at 90km/h while car B travels 80km/h. Find the rate at which the distance between them is changing at that moment.

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean theorem x^2+y^2=z^2
    chain rule of partial derivatives.

3. The attempt at a solution
    z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) so by the chain rule (differentiatiing with respect to x*90+differentiating with respect to y*80) I get
    90y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)+80x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) and setting y=.3km and x=.4lkm I get 118km/h
    but the book used negative values and got -118km/h. It used -80 and -90km/h for its dz/dx's and dz/dy's. Why did it do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why partial derivatives? The only independent variable here is t.

It would be much simpler to use z2= x2+ y2 so that
    [tex]2z\frac{dz}{dt}= 2x\frac{dx}{dt}+ 2y\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
    I have no idea what you mean by "differentiatiing with respect to x*90+differentiating with respect to y*80". What do "x*90" and "y*80" represent physically in this problem? If x and y are distance as they appear to be then "x*90" and "x*80" would have units of km2 per hour and I don't reconize that as any physical quantity.

You never did say what "x", "y", and "z" represent. I guess that x is the distance from the intersection to car B since you take x= 0.4 km at the given instant. If that is correct, then since car B is getting closer to the intersection as time progresses, x is a decreasing function of t and its derivative is negative: -80 km/hr. Similarly, dx/dt= -90 km/hr.

also, your text did NOT use "-80 and -90km/h for its dz/dx's and dz/dy's" because the 80 and 90 here are speeds in km/hr while dz/dx and dz/dy are "km/km" and so dimensionless. Your text is using -80 and -90 for dx/dt and dy/dt.

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    Oh sorry lol I meant to say dy/dt and dx/dt for the speeds. Yeah even though
    partial derivatives are not needed, I used them anyway because I'm doing problems from
    the chain rule for partial derivatives chapter. I came up with the same answer, the only problem was the signs. Yes x y and z represent the distance from the intersections, you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?