Partial Differential Equations

In summary, the discriminant is the function that when applied to the equation will give you the characteristic equation. You will set the variables $\xi$ and $\eta$ equal to the solutions of the equation of which you find the discriminant.
Julio1
Let the PDE $u_{xx}-4u_{xy}+4u_{yy}=0.$ Reduce to the canonical form.Good Morning MHB :). My problem is find the canonical form of the PDE know an variable change. But how I can transform the equation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Julio said:
Let the PDE $u_{xx}-4u_{xy}+4u_{yy}=0.$ Reduce to the canonical form.Good Morning MHB :). My problem is find the canonical form of the PDE know an variable change. But how I can transform the equation? Thanks.

(Wave)

$u_{xx}-4u_{xy}+4u_{yy}=0 \Rightarrow \left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x}^2} -4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{xy}}+4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{y}^2} \right) u=0 $

Find the discriminant of $\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x}^2} -4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{xy}}+4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{y}^2}=0$ in order to find the characteristic equations.

evinda said:
(Wave)

$u_{xx}-4u_{xy}+4u_{yy}=0 \Rightarrow \left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x}^2} -4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{xy}}+4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{y}^2} \right) u=0 $

Find the discriminant of $\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x}^2} -4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{xy}}+4 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{y}^2}=0$ in order to find the characteristic equations.

Thanks evinda :).

But why the discriminant? I don't understand this :(.

One question: What's up if does the change $\xi=\xi(x,y)$ and $\eta=\eta(x,y)$?

Julio said:
Thanks evinda :).

But why the discriminant? I don't understand this :(.

One question: What's up if does the change $\xi=\xi(x,y)$ and $\eta=\eta(x,y)$?

You will set $\xi$ and $\eta$ equal to the solutions of the equation of which you find the discriminant.

Thanks Evinda, I can solve in this form...

As $y(x)=-2x+C$ is the characteristic curve, we have that $y+2x=C.$ Let $\xi(x,y)=y+2x$ and $\eta=x$, it follow that:

$\dfrac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}=2, \quad \dfrac{\partial \eta}{\partial x}=1.$

$\dfrac{\partial \xi}{\partial y}=1, \quad \dfrac{\partial \eta}{\partial y}=0.$

Then,

$\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}=\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}\dfrac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \eta}\dfrac{\partial \eta}{\partial x}=2\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \eta}$

$\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}=\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}\dfrac{\partial \xi}{\partial y}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \eta}\dfrac{\partial \eta}{\partial y}=\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}.$

$\begin{eqnarray*}
\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}&=&\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)\\
&=&\left(2\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \eta}\right) \left(2\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \xi}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial \eta}\right)\\
&=&4\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \xi^2}+4\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \eta\partial \xi}+\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \eta^2}.
\end{eqnarray*}
$

$\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}=\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \xi^2}$

$\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y\partial x}=2\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \xi^2}+\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial \xi \partial \eta}$

Thus, we have that:

$\left(\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}-4\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y\partial x}+4\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\right)u=0\implies u_{\eta \eta}=0.$

This is correct? :)

Last edited:
Since nobody ratified if I was okay, I give terminate.

What are partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations (PDEs) are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to describe the behavior of complex systems that vary in space and time, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism.

What is the difference between ordinary differential equations and partial differential equations?

The main difference between ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and PDEs is that while ODEs involve derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. This makes PDEs more suitable for describing systems that vary in multiple dimensions.

What are some real-world applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs are used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and finance. They can be used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, electrostatics, quantum mechanics, and many other phenomena.

What are the main methods for solving partial differential equations?

There are various numerical and analytical methods for solving PDEs, depending on the specific equation and its boundary conditions. Some common methods include finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. Analytical solutions can also be obtained for certain simplified PDEs.

What are some challenges in solving partial differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving PDEs is that they often have no closed-form analytical solution, so numerical methods must be used. Additionally, PDEs can be highly nonlinear and may have multiple solutions, making it difficult to find the most accurate solution. Another challenge is that PDEs can be computationally intensive, requiring powerful computers and advanced algorithms to solve them efficiently.