How can I find the partial fraction expansion of the integrand z/[(z-2i)(z+i)]?

In summary: The fact that you can't multiply by 0 may give you the answer directly.In summary, to find the partial fraction expansion of z/[(z-2i)(z+i)], one can use the method of comparing coefficients by multiplying both sides with the greatest common denominator. By setting z to different values and solving for the coefficients A and B, one can find the partial fraction expansion to be A= 2/3 and B= 1/3. Alternatively, setting z to the roots of the denominators (i and 2i) can also give the coefficients directly.
redshift
I need to find the partial fraction expansion of the integrand z/[(z-2i)(z+i)]
Just doing 1/(z-2i) + 1/(z+i) results in (2z-i)/(z-2i)(z+i).
It seems easy, but I can't figure out what to multiply by to get the correct numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose z/((z - 2i)(z + i)) = A/(z - 2i) + B/(z + i) for all z, where A and B are some real numbers. Multiply both sides with the greatest common denominator to get:

z = (z + i)A + (z - 2i)B.

Then simplify and compare coefficients on both sides...

Alright then, so z = (z + i)A + (z - 2i)B, then expanding gives
z = z(A + B) + i(A - 2B)
Since the LHS has no i, then A - 2B = 0, and likewise, A + B = 1
But...this is going nowhere. Where am I slipping up?

Hi, what do you get for A and B when you solve those equations? They should work.

redshift said:
Alright then, so z = (z + i)A + (z - 2i)B, then expanding gives
z = z(A + B) + i(A - 2B)
Since the LHS has no i, then A - 2B = 0, and likewise, A + B = 1
But...this is going nowhere. Where am I slipping up?

What do you mean it's going nowhere? A=2/3;B=1/3.What's wronh with those numbers??

C'mon now, if you can do integrals of complex numbers, you surely aren't going to let basic algebra stop you!

A- 2B= 0 and A+B= 1. Subtract the second equation from the first to get -3B= -1 or B= 1/3. From that, A- 2(1/3)= 0 gives A= 2/3.

An even simpler way is this: write (as Muzza said)
"z/((z - 2i)(z + i)) = A/(z - 2i) + B/(z + i) for all z, where A and B are some real numbers. Multiply both sides with the greatest common denominator to get:

z = (z + i)A + (z - 2i)B."

Now let z= -i so that (z+i)= 0 and solve for B.

Then let z= 2i so that (z- 2i)= 0 and solve for A.

What is a partial fraction?

A partial fraction is a mathematical expression that decomposes a rational function (a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator) into simpler fractions.

Why do we use partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions are useful in integration because they allow us to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions that can be integrated more easily using known integration techniques.

How do we find the partial fraction decomposition of an integrand?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of an integrand, we use the method of partial fraction decomposition, which involves factoring the denominator of the fraction and then setting up a system of equations to solve for the coefficients of each partial fraction.

Are there any restrictions or limitations when using partial fractions in integration?

Yes, there are certain restrictions and limitations when using partial fractions in integration. For example, the denominator of the fraction must be factorable and the degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator.

What are some practical applications of partial fractions in science and engineering?

Partial fractions have many practical applications in fields such as control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis. They can also be used in solving differential equations and in finding the inverse Laplace transform of a function.