1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Partial Fractions" Decomposition Integrals

1. Jul 10, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I was just introduced to this concept and I have solved a few problems, but I haven't come across any with denominators to a raised power yet.

∫ 1 / [(x+7)(x^2+4)] dx

I would appreciate any directed help.

1. from the initial state I have broken the fraction into two assuming that (x+7)(x^2+4) is the common denominator where A and B are unknown.

∫ A / (x+7) + B / (x^2+4)

B / (x^2+4) has me confused

as I said before, I have not come across denominators to a raised power before and understand that the numerator needs to be raised to one power less, but what this looks like I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first part of your PF decomp, A / (x + 7), is OK. For the second part, B / (x2 + 4), you should assume the numerator is a polynomial one-degree lower than the denominator, which is why you assume A / (x + 7).

For the second part, instead of just B in the numerator, what should you assume?

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3
    Bx + B + 1?

5. Jul 10, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And why would you assume this?

6. Jul 10, 2015 #5
    because the polynomial on the bottom is in degrees of x so B ( x + 1 ) is better?

7. Jul 10, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're assuming that the coefficient of x and the constant will be the same. That's a bad assumption.
    Make the numerator the more general Bx + C to cover all possibilities.

8. Jul 10, 2015 #7
    ah I see now thank you for your help : )

9. Jul 10, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"In degrees of x"? Surely you meant to say "second degree in x"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted