1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions - irreducibility question

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. x^2-x+1

Is this factorable?

My initial thinking is NO. However, I can complete the square and it becomes (x-1/2)^2-3/4, but this doesn't seem to help me. Would this be considered factorable?

2. Turn 1/x^2-x+1 into partial fractions

Clearly, after I answer #1 correctly, #2 will be more clear. But under my initial assumption that #1 is NOT reducible, then how would I turn 1/x^2-x+1 into a partial fraction?
    I am getting 1 = Ax+b where b = 0 and A = 1/x but that doesn't seem at all correct.

Thanks for any guidance / help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have an error in your work. You should have (x - 1/2)2 + 3/4, not (x - 1/2)2 - 3/4. This quadratic is not factorable into factors with real number coefficients.
    This expression needs parentheses around the entire denominator. What you wrote is this:
    $$\frac{1}{x^2} - x + 1$$
    No, it's not. The coefficients A and B should be constants, not expressions that involve a variable.

BTW, what happened to the homework template? You should not delete its parts.

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Fair enough.

Do I use the denominator of x^2-x+1 or (x-1/2)^2 +3/4 to use partial fractions?

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't turn ##\frac 1 {x^2-x+1}## into a partial fraction. In the second form above, where you have completed the square, it is already ready to integrate using an arctangent.

6. Oct 16, 2014 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

LcKurtz, thank you my brother for the help verifying my thoughts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted