1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions turn out wrong

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    Here's (what I think is) a step in partial fractions that I don't understand:
    http://apthtml.com/images/partialfrac.png [Broken]

I'm taking the regular partial fractions steps and I keep ending up with 1 / (1 - x) rather than 1 / (x - 1). What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    Are the signs the same as well? Remember, -1/(x-1) = 1/(1-x).

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3

sylas

Science Advisor

You don't show your steps, so I don't know what you are doing wrong. But try this. Let x be 0.5.

[tex]\begin{align*}
    x &= 0.5 \\
    \frac{1}{x(1-x)} &= \frac{1}{0.5 \times (1 - 0.5)} \\
    & = \frac{1}{0.5 \times 0.5} \\
    &= \frac{1}{0.25} \\
    & = 4 \\
    \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{x - 1} &= \frac{1}{0.5} - \frac{1}{0.5 - 1} \\
    & = 2 - -2 \\
    & = 4 \\
    \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{1 - x} &= \frac{1}{0.5} - \frac{1}{1 - 0.5} \\
    & = 2 - 2 \\
    & =0
    \end{align*}[/tex]​

So you can see the second form has to be wrong.

If you can't see which step of your argument is false, just substitute 0.5 for x at all points, and see at which step you get the wrong answer. Stare at that step until you are enlightened.

Cheers -- sylas

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4
    slider: that's definitely the case here, subtle switching of signs and a reversal rule I wasn't aware of. I suppose knowing these rules just comes with doing a lot of math.

silas: I appreciate the detailed answer, and particularly your advice to "Stare at that step until you are enlightened." I feel like I do that quite often... and it works!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook