Partial Fractions turn out wrong

In summary, the conversation discusses a step in partial fractions that the individual does not understand. They are using regular partial fractions steps and keep ending up with 1 / (1 - x) instead of 1 / (x - 1). The conversation also mentions the importance of signs and the rule of reversal in solving this problem. The expert suggests substituting a value for x to identify the incorrect step and advises to continue staring at it until it becomes clear.
authgeek
Here's (what I think is) a step in partial fractions that I don't understand:
http://apthtml.com/images/partialfrac.png

I'm taking the regular partial fractions steps and I keep ending up with 1 / (1 - x) rather than 1 / (x - 1). What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
authgeek said:

I'm taking the regular partial fractions steps and I keep ending up with 1 / (1 - x) rather than 1 / (x - 1). What am I doing wrong?

Are the signs the same as well? Remember, -1/(x-1) = 1/(1-x).

authgeek said:

You don't show your steps, so I don't know what you are doing wrong. But try this. Let x be 0.5.

[tex]\begin{align*}
x &= 0.5 \\
\frac{1}{x(1-x)} &= \frac{1}{0.5 \times (1 - 0.5)} \\
& = \frac{1}{0.5 \times 0.5} \\
&= \frac{1}{0.25} \\
& = 4 \\
\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{x - 1} &= \frac{1}{0.5} - \frac{1}{0.5 - 1} \\
& = 2 - -2 \\
& = 4 \\
\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{1 - x} &= \frac{1}{0.5} - \frac{1}{1 - 0.5} \\
& = 2 - 2 \\
& =0
\end{align*}[/tex]​

So you can see the second form has to be wrong.

If you can't see which step of your argument is false, just substitute 0.5 for x at all points, and see at which step you get the wrong answer. Stare at that step until you are enlightened.

Cheers -- sylas

slider: that's definitely the case here, subtle switching of signs and a reversal rule I wasn't aware of. I suppose knowing these rules just comes with doing a lot of math.

silas: I appreciate the detailed answer, and particularly your advice to "Stare at that step until you are enlightened." I feel like I do that quite often... and it works!

What are partial fractions and why are they used?

Partial fractions are a way to break down a single complicated fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. They are used to simplify calculations and solve equations involving fractions.

What are the common mistakes that can lead to incorrect partial fractions?

The most common mistakes that can lead to incorrect partial fractions include not properly factoring the denominator, making arithmetic errors when adding or subtracting fractions, and not considering all possible cases for the coefficients in the partial fraction decomposition.

How can I check if my partial fractions are correct?

You can check your partial fractions by adding them back together and simplifying. If the resulting fraction is equivalent to the original complicated fraction, then your partial fractions are correct.

What are some strategies for correctly solving partial fractions?

Some strategies for solving partial fractions include thoroughly factoring the denominator, setting up and solving equations to determine the coefficients, and checking the solution by plugging in values for the variables.

What are some real-world applications of partial fractions?

Partial fractions are commonly used in engineering, physics, and economics to solve equations involving fractions. They are also used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts to simplify and solve complex equations.