1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fractions with fractional powers

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How does one integrate e.g. [itex]\frac{1+x}{(2+x)^{3/2}}[/itex] by partial fractions?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea about this. I've never seen this technique applied with fractional powers before.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2
    This looks interesting, I have never done it but my guess would be to make a substitution.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: [itex]x+1=(x+2)-1[/itex]:wink:

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4
    Nice catch gabba, cant believe I didnt see that ^_^. Though, does that satisfy it being a partial fraction after you simplify/reduce? (Looks up the def.)

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5
    Yes, nice one. Is splitting the numerator in this way a special case of partial fractions? Not that it really matters....

7. Nov 27, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. That is NOT using "partial fractions". This can be integrated but not by partial fractions.

8. Nov 27, 2008 #7
    is the ans
    2 [tex]\sqrt{x+2}[/tex] (1+[tex]\frac{1}{x+2}[/tex])

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  9. Nov 27, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup :smile:

10. Nov 27, 2008 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure it is: if you let [itex]u=(2+x)^{1/2}[/itex] then both the numerator and denominator are polynomials in powers of [itex]u[/itex]. You can the decompose it into partial fractions by letting [tex]\frac{1+x}{(2+x)^{3/2}}=\frac{u^2-1}{u^3}=A+\frac{B}{u}+\frac{C}{u^2}+\frac{D}{u^3}[/tex] and determining A,B,C and D....or you can simply recognize that the fraction decomposes into [tex]\frac{1}{(2+x)^{1/2}}-\frac{1}{(2+x)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Either way, it sure seems like "partial fraction decomposition" to me.

11. Nov 27, 2008 #10
    hahas. thx loads for your hint :smile:
    CHEERS!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?