Partial Sum Bounds: Explaining the Shift from N to $2^{N+1}-1$

In summary: I was thinking more along the lines of how does the index for the sum go from N to $2^{N+1}-1$Ok, I wasn't exactly thinking of multiplying out the products. I was thinking more along the lines of how does the index for the sum go from N to $2^{N+1}-1$In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the product and sum notation for a given expression and how the index for the sum goes from N to $2^{N+1}-1$. The product notation includes all even and odd powers of z, while the sum notation only includes powers of z from 0 to $2^{N+1}-1$, each with a coefficient of 1.
Dustinsfl
I don't understand the bounds of the partial sum.
$$
\prod_{n=0}^N(1+z^{2^n}) =\sum_{n=0}^{2^{N+1}-1}z^n = \frac{1-z^{2^{N+1}}}{1-z}
$$
How does it go from N in the product to $2^{N+1}-1$ in the sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I don't understand the bounds of the partial sum.
$$
\prod_{n=0}^N(1+z^{2^n}) =\sum_{n=0}^{2^{N+1}-1}z^n = \frac{1-z^{2^{N+1}}}{1-z}
$$
How does it go from N in the product to $2^{N+1}-1$ in the sum?

Writing in explicit form...

$\displaystyle \prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (1+z^{2^{n}})= (1+z)\ (1+z^{2})\ (1+z^{4})...\ (1+z^{2^{N}})$

... it is easy to observe that any power of z from 0 to $2^{N+1}-1$, each with coefficient 1, is present...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Writing in explicit form...

$\displaystyle \prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (1+z^{2^{n}})= (1+z)\ (1+z^{2})\ (1+z^{4})...\ (1+z^{2^{N}})$

... it is easy to observe that any power of z from 0 to $2^{N+1}-1$, each with coefficient 1, is present...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

There is no odd power. With the partial sum, we would have odd powers too.

dwsmith said:
There is no odd power. With the partial sum, we would have odd powers too.

Let's proceed 'step by step'...

$(1+z)$ and we have even and odd powers...

$(1+z)\ (1+z^{2})= 1 + z + z^{2}+z^{3}$ and we have even an odd powers...

$(1+z)\ (1+z^{2})\ (1+z^{4})= 1+z+z^{2}+z^{3}+z^{4}+z^{5}+z^{6}+z^{7}$ and we have even an odd powers...

Shall I continue?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Let's proceed 'step by step'...

$(1+z)$ and we have even and odd powers...

$(1+z)\ (1+z^{2})= 1 + z + z^{2}+z^{3}$ and we have even an odd powers...

$(1+z)\ (1+z^{2})\ (1+z^{4})= 1+z+z^{2}+z^{3}+z^{4}+z^{5}+z^{6}+z^{7}$ and we have even an odd powers...

Shall I continue?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ok, I wasn't exactly thinking of multiplying out the products.

What is a partial sum bound?

A partial sum bound is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the upper bound for a sum of terms in a series. It is often used in the analysis of algorithms to evaluate the complexity of a problem.

How does the shift from N to $2^{N+1}-1$ occur in partial sum bounds?

The shift from N to $2^{N+1}-1$ occurs when the upper bound is increased to account for all possible combinations of terms in the series. This shift allows for a more accurate estimation of the upper bound for the sum.

Why is the shift to $2^{N+1}-1$ necessary in partial sum bounds?

The shift to $2^{N+1}-1$ is necessary because it takes into account all possible combinations of terms in the series. This allows for a more precise upper bound for the sum, which is important in the analysis of algorithms.

How is the shift to $2^{N+1}-1$ calculated in partial sum bounds?

The shift from N to $2^{N+1}-1$ is calculated by taking the maximum value of the series, which is $2^{N}-1$, and adding an extra term, which is $2^{N}$. This results in the final shift of $2^{N+1}-1$.

Are there any limitations to using partial sum bounds with the shift to $2^{N+1}-1$?

While partial sum bounds with the shift to $2^{N+1}-1$ can provide a more accurate upper bound for a sum, it is important to note that it is still an estimation and may not always reflect the precise complexity of a problem. Additionally, this method may not be applicable to all types of series and may require further analysis for more accurate results.