Making World's Smallest MEMS Accelerometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a small accelerometer using alpha particles and movable magnets. The conversation also mentions challenges and limitations in measuring the position of an object on such a small scale. The speaker also asks for suggestions on how to make the world's smallest MEMS accelerometer.
Edge5
Hi everyone. I want to make a very small accelerometer. (A micro or nanosized MEMS accelerometer)

What do you think about this idea?

I will have a source which will emit alpha particles. I will place two movable magnets at both sides of the alpha particle. When I apply acceleration to the sensor, the magnets will move (due to inertial fictious force) and alpha particle will deviate from its path. The deviation will be a related to acceleration.

How would a charged particle behave inside a moving magnetic field?

How small I can make this accelerometer you think? (Also please share if you have any ideas about making the world's smallest MEMS accelerometer)

Thank you.

(PS: I know how today's accelerometers work. I just want to come up with a creative idea)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are so many ways to measure the position of an object with high precision. The deviation of the flight of alpha particles is not among them. Even state-of-the-art pixel detectors will have a hard time measuring any deflection on such a small scale, and that's not even considering the problems from getting a focused beam, getting enough statistics, removing background and so on.

1. What is a MEMS accelerometer?

A MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical System) accelerometer is a tiny device that measures acceleration forces, such as gravity or movement, and converts them into electrical signals. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, gaming controllers, and fitness trackers.

2. How small can a MEMS accelerometer be made?

The size of a MEMS accelerometer can vary depending on its application, but the world's smallest MEMS accelerometer to date is only 0.2mm x 0.2mm x 0.2mm in size. This was achieved by using advanced microfabrication techniques and materials.

3. What are the benefits of a smaller MEMS accelerometer?

A smaller MEMS accelerometer has several advantages, including lower power consumption, higher sensitivity, and faster response time. It also allows for more compact and lightweight electronic devices.

4. How is a MEMS accelerometer made?

A MEMS accelerometer is made using microfabrication techniques, which involve using specialized equipment to etch, deposit, and pattern layers of materials on a silicon wafer. This process allows for the creation of tiny structures and components, including the sensing element, which is the heart of the accelerometer.

5. What are the challenges in making the world's smallest MEMS accelerometer?

Creating the world's smallest MEMS accelerometer requires overcoming several challenges, including the precise control of microfabrication processes, the selection of suitable materials with the right properties, and the integration of multiple components into a tiny package. It also requires extensive testing and validation to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the device.