Particle collision/interaction

• Thread starter threadmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the Lamb Shift describes the influence on the electron in a fermion-boson interaction within the atom. However, the OP is interested in fermion-fermion interactions, specifically between up quarks and down quarks in protons and neutrons. The OP is wondering if there is any exchange or influence occurring between these fermions, and if so, if it can cause fluctuations in mass. The photon is not the force medium in this interaction, but rather the W and Z bosons. Elementary particles do not collide like two balls, and the OP may have confused the gluon and photon in previous statements.
threadmark
Within the atom can particle interaction cause an exchange affecting the fermions spin/charge without invoking structural change in the fermions? If so could the eV temporarily change if the spin is affected?
Thanks TM

Physics news on Phys.org
threadmark said:
Within the atom can particle interaction cause an exchange affecting the fermions spin/charge without invoking structural change in the fermions? If so could the eV temporarily change if the spin is affected?
Thanks TM

which fermions? the neutrons? protons? electrons?

there is at least spin coupling within the atom, the so called Lamb Shift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_shift

you should try to have better titles for your questions in the future

The lamb shift in this article is describing the influence on the electron, the electron is a fermion but this is a fermion boson interaction. This is not a collision/interaction between fermions. I want to know fermion fermion interaction. The fermions in protons and neutrons are up quarks and down quarks. is there any exchange/influence occurring between fermions?
Thanks TM

threadmark said:
The lamb shift in this article is describing the influence on the electron, the electron is a fermion but this is a fermion boson interaction. This is not a collision/interaction between fermions. I want to know fermion fermion interaction. The fermions in protons and neutrons are up quarks and down quarks. is there any exchange/influence occurring between fermions?
Thanks TM

no it is a fermion - fermion interaction mediated with a boson (the photon)

are u wondering if there are fermions which carry "force"?

If so what two fermions are interacting in this formula, the electron is one fermion where is the other? W and Z bosons have a Mass so the force that acts on the fermions from the elec and magnetic field is the W boson because it carries a different charge to the y,g,z so the affect is the W boson cannot occupy the same quantum state. Fermions can create fields but are not apart of the field.

Please correct me if I am wrong

the electron before the photon "hits" it (of course this photon will be virtual in the lamb shift) then after the "interaction" there is one electron, but with spin changed.

I still have no clue what you actually are asking about

If a photon has zero charge and zero mass how does it “collide” with the electron? I know of electrons emitting photons. They possesses chromo dynamic energy but no charge so where does this collision occur. If I throw a ball through a hoop and it doesn’t touch the sides, its not a collision. But if I throw it so fast it was to act upon the hoop as it passed through this is still not a collision. The force/energy transferred to the hoop was because of the ball affecting the wind pressure not the hoop directly.
To sum this up the photon is not the force medium between the boson fermion interaction in the field. It is the W and Z bosons. But what I want to know is fermion-fermion interactions.
Is there an influence to a fermion if a different fermion or the same type of fermion was to pass very close to affect the state of the fermion but not change the structure its apart of? Can there be fluctuations in mass due to this interaction?

no they do not possesses chromodynamic energy...

NO elementary particle "collides" as two balls colliding, elementary particles have no size at all.

where did u learn particle physics?

got the gluon and photon mixed up. sorry. at work at the mo,so a bit distracted.
TM

1. What is a particle collision/interaction?

A particle collision/interaction is a process in which two or more particles collide with each other and exchange energy and momentum. This can lead to the creation of new particles or the transformation of the original particles into different forms.

2. Why are particle collisions/interactions important in science?

Particle collisions/interactions are important in science because they allow us to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. By observing the products of these collisions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the structure of the universe.

3. What are the tools used to study particle collisions/interactions?

The tools used to study particle collisions/interactions vary depending on the energy and type of particles involved. Some common tools include particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations.

4. What are the different types of particle collisions/interactions?

There are four main types of particle collisions/interactions: elastic, inelastic, non-elastic, and completely inelastic. Inelastic collisions involve a transfer of kinetic energy between particles, while elastic collisions do not. Non-elastic collisions result in the production of new particles, and completely inelastic collisions involve the merging of two particles into one.

5. How do particle collisions/interactions relate to the study of the Big Bang?

Particle collisions/interactions are essential to understanding the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe. By studying high-energy particle collisions, scientists can recreate the conditions that existed shortly after the Big Bang and gain insight into the formation of the universe.