Particle energy through magnetic and electric field

In summary, the formula for the force on a charge in an electric and magnetic field is F = eE + ev X B and the reason why the magnetic field can never increase the energy of a particle traveling through it is because the fields are perpendicular to the motion and will cancel out. This means that there is no overall change in momentum, and work must be done on the particle to achieve an energy transformation.
Sonko

Homework Statement

Given the formula for the force on a charge in an electric and magnetic field is F = eE + ev X B
why can the magnetic fi eld never increase the energy of a particle that travels through
it

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure! I look at this and i know that the reason must be obvious and I'll kick myself for not getting it but I'm simply at a loss! The only thing i can think of right now is that the fields are perpendicular to the motion and will cancel out however this just doesn't make sense!
Any help would be appreciated in not just helping me find the answer but for helping me rid myself of the stupidity I'm feeling! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When does the kinetic energy of particle increase? In other words, how does energy get pumped into the particle?

umm I'm not completely sure what you mean? do you mean to use E^2 = p^2 + m^2 and show there is no overall change in momentum?

This is not necessarily a relativistic situation. If the kinetic energy of a particle increases, this means that there has been an energy transformation. What must be done on the particle to achieve this energy transformation? Hint: It starts with "W".

i woke this morning and came to my sense using your first clue! showing that Work done (and so the change in energy) was not increased.

thanks for the help on the subject!

What is particle energy?

Particle energy is the measure of energy possessed by a particle, which can be in the form of kinetic energy, potential energy, or a combination of both.

How do magnetic and electric fields affect particle energy?

Magnetic fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. Electric fields, on the other hand, can accelerate or decelerate charged particles, changing their kinetic energy.

What is the relationship between magnetic and electric fields in terms of particle energy?

The combined effect of magnetic and electric fields on a charged particle is known as the Lorentz force. This force determines the direction and magnitude of the particle's motion, and thus its energy.

Can particle energy be controlled through magnetic and electric fields?

Yes, particle energy can be controlled through the strength and orientation of magnetic and electric fields. By adjusting these parameters, the path and speed of charged particles can be manipulated, thereby changing their energy.

What applications use the concept of particle energy through magnetic and electric fields?

Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, use this concept to accelerate subatomic particles to high energies for research purposes. Magnetic confinement fusion, used in nuclear fusion reactors, also relies on controlling charged particles with magnetic fields to produce energy.