How Do I Solve the Particle in a Box Problem with Extended Boundaries?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a particle in a box with boundaries at x=L and x=3L. The function U(x) is given as U(x) = A cos kx + B sin kx, and the boundary conditions are 0 = A cos kL + B sin kL and 0 = A cos 3kL + B sin 3kL. The question is how to find the values of A and B, as well as the k values. The solution involves normalizing U(x) and using the time-independent Schrödinger equation. The ground state wave function is a sine function for the interval x=0 to x=L, and a linear combination of sine
eku_girl83
O.k. I posted earlier concerning this question. I think I know have a better understanding of what's going on.

Particle in a box with boundaries at x=L and x=3L.
U(x) = A cos kx + B sin kx
Applying boundary conditions, I get that
0 = A cos kL + B sin kL
and that
0 = A cos 3kL + B sin 3kL

How do I find A and B as well as the k values? Please help!

Then I normalize U(x).

I also had a question concerning the ground state wave function. In my first post, I was informed the ground state was a sine function for the situation x=0 to x=L. So for the case of x=L to x=3L, it should be a linear combination of sine and cosine. So is psi(x,0) = A cos kx + B cos kx? If not, then what?

I really thought I understood the problem for x=0 to x=L, but the x=L to x=3L situation is giving me fits!

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of k will come from the (time-independent) S.E. A and B come from the boundary conditions.
This is exactly the same as the PIB for [0,L], except the boundary conditions are slightly different. Find the solution for the first case ([0,L]), and follow it through step by step. The solution to the present case will look almost identical.

1. What is a "particle in a box"?

A particle in a box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a specific region of space, also known as a "box".

2. How does the "particle in a box" model work?

In this model, the particle is assumed to have infinite potential energy outside of the box and zero potential energy inside the box. The particle's energy is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values, and its wave function is described by the Schrodinger equation.

3. What is the significance of the "particle in a box" model?

This model is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and it can be applied to various systems such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the properties of these systems.

4. What is "Particle in a box Part II"?

"Particle in a box Part II" refers to the second part of the particle in a box problem, where we consider a particle trapped in a box with finite potential barriers, rather than infinite ones. This adds an additional level of complexity to the model and allows for the study of more realistic systems.

5. What are the applications of the "particle in a box" model?

The "particle in a box" model has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to study the electronic and optical properties of materials, as well as to design and understand the behavior of semiconductors and other electronic devices. It also has implications in quantum computing and nanotechnology.