1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a box Part II

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    O.k. I posted earlier concerning this question. I think I know have a better understanding of what's going on.

Particle in a box with boundaries at x=L and x=3L.
    U(x) = A cos kx + B sin kx
    Applying boundary conditions, I get that
    0 = A cos kL + B sin kL
    and that
    0 = A cos 3kL + B sin 3kL

How do I find A and B as well as the k values? Please help!

Then I normalize U(x).

I also had a question concerning the ground state wave function. In my first post, I was informed the ground state was a sine function for the situation x=0 to x=L. So for the case of x=L to x=3L, it should be a linear combination of sine and cosine. So is psi(x,0) = A cos kx + B cos kx? If not, then what?

I really thought I understood the problem for x=0 to x=L, but the x=L to x=3L situation is giving me fits!

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2
    The value of k will come from the (time-independent) S.E. A and B come from the boundary conditions.
    This is exaclty the same as the PIB for [0,L], except the boundary conditions are slightly different. Find the solution for the first case ([0,L]), and follow it through step by step. The solution to the present case will look almost identical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?