Particle in a Central Potential: Calculate Energies

In summary, the conversation is about a confusing homework problem regarding a particle in a central potential. The problem involves determining the eigenkets and eigenenergies in zeroth order approximation, given a specific potential function. The conversation also discusses using equations and hints to estimate and calculate first and second order corrections. The key is to understand the meaning of "zeroth order" and the relationship between U and ##\frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2}##.
Xyius
Hello,

This latest homework I have been doing has been very confusing to me and I have spent hours trying to complete it. Here is a problem that I really don't know where to start. If anyone could just point me in the right direction, or let me know if my ideas are correct or not, it would be so great!

Homework Statement

Consider a particle in a central potential of the form..

[tex]V(r)=-U\frac{a}{r}e^{-\frac{r}{a}}[/tex]

Where U>0 and a>0.

(i) Show that, if ##U >> \frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2}##, in the zeroth order approximation the eigenkets and eigenenergies of the low-lying levels have the same form as in the Coulomb potential. Determine the eigenenergies to zeroth order.

(ii) Compute all corrections to those eigenenergies in first order perturbation theory. Hint: Estimate the order of magnitude of second order corrections and compute all first order corrections that are greater.

Homework Equations

The problem says the following equations might be useful.

[tex]<r^k>=\int_0^{∞}dr r^{2+k}[R_{nl}(r)]^2[/tex]
[tex]<r>=\left( \frac{a_0}{2Z} \right)[3n^2-l(l+1)][/tex]
[tex]<r^2>=\left( \frac{a_0^2 n^2}{2Z^2} \right)[5n^2+1-3(l+1)][/tex]
[tex]<1/r>=\frac{Z}{n^2 a_0}[/tex]
[tex]<1/r^2> = \frac{Z^2}{n^3a_0^2\left( l+\frac{1}{2} \right)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason, "zeroth order" is confusing me. We talked about calculating things to first and second order, and I am having some sort of "disconnect" as to what I am supposed to do. The only thing I can think of is the following.

Expand the exponential term in the central potential function.

[tex]V(r) \approx -U\frac{a}{r}\left[ 1-\frac{r}{a}+\frac{r^2}{2!a^2}+ \dots \right][/tex]

The zeroth order would be only the first term. Meaning the potential function would become..

[tex]V(r) \approx -U\frac{a}{r}[/tex]

Which is of the same form as the Coulomb potential. I can then just make a substitution in the final results of the Coulomb potential and obtain the eigenenergies and eigenvectors. But I don't know where the ##U >> \frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2}## comes into play. Also, I don't understand the "Hint" in part (ii).

If anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "zeroth order" means the powers of r here, so the zeroth order of the potential includes the first order of the exponential function. Then U>>,,, should be a reasonable thing to look at.

If you know the wavefunction (from (i)), you can let the second order of the potential (the term with r^2) act on this wavefunction. Numerical prefactors do not matter here I think, just find the correct order of whatever appears in the result (probably powers of ##\frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2U} \ll 1##), and then calculate everything that has a smaller power than that.

1. What is a particle in a central potential?

A particle in a central potential refers to a physical system where a particle is confined to move in a central force field, such as a gravitational or electrostatic field, with the force acting towards a central point. This is a commonly used model in physics to study the behavior of particles in various systems.

2. How is the energy of a particle in a central potential calculated?

The energy of a particle in a central potential is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the quantum mechanical behavior of the particle. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the central force field and the kinetic energy of the particle to determine its total energy.

3. What factors affect the energies of a particle in a central potential?

The energies of a particle in a central potential are affected by several factors, including the strength and type of central force, the distance from the central point, and the mass of the particle. These factors can alter the shape and behavior of the particle's energy levels.

4. How are the energy levels of a particle in a central potential represented?

The energy levels of a particle in a central potential are typically represented as discrete values on a graph, with the lowest energy level at the bottom and higher energy levels above. This is known as a potential energy curve and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the particle in the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the particle in a central potential model?

The particle in a central potential model has numerous real-world applications, including in the study of atomic and molecular systems, planetary orbits, and the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also used in fields such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and engineering to understand the behavior of particles in various systems.