Particle moving on an open cylinder

In summary, the conversation is discussing the motion of a particle with mass m on the surface of an open cylinder with radius R = √x^2+y^2+z^2. The equations of motion of the particle are being discussed in suitable coordinates, and a force F is being constructed to cause the particle to perform simple harmonic motion along the z-direction on the cylinder surface. The trajectory of the particle is not completely clear, but it is constrained to move on the surface of a sphere. The particle's motion can be described using Lagrangian mechanics and does not require a specific trajectory.
nabeel17
1. A force F causes a particle of mass m to move on the surface of an open
cylinder of radius R =
√x^2+y^2+z^2

(a) Write out the equations of motion of the particle in suitable coordinates.
(b) Construct a force F that causes the particle to perform simple harmonic motion
on the cylinder surface along the z-direction

I'm a little confused as to what the trajectory of the particle is...I'm assuming it is moving in circular motion around the cylinder but I'm not sure what the of the relevance of the open cylinder then.

If it is moving in circular motion, I was thinking the acceleration is just v^2/r perpendicular to the velocity (-r direction) but then since it is on a cylinder that would mean it wouldn't even move right?

Physics news on Phys.org
nabeel17 said:
1. A force F causes a particle of mass m to move on the surface of an open cylinder of radius R = √x^2+y^2+z^2

That's not the equation of a cylinder, whichever way I parenthesise it.
The question is asking you to write down a general equation of motion for the particle given some arbitrary applied force F (=F(t) probably) and the fact that it is constrained to move on the surface of the cylinder. It's not entirely clear to me whether you are supposed to assume that F happens to have the property that it makes the particle stay in that cylindrical surface, or whether you are supposed to assume that F is completely arbitrary and the cylinder itself applies a normal force which constrains the motion, but it comes to the same thing in the end.

If I read R = √x^2+y^2+z^2 to mean ##R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## then that would be a sphere rather than a cylinder.

What the description is saying is that the particle is constrained to move on a particular shape. For a cylinder, radius R, centered on the z axis, this means the particle may have any value z coordinate but it's x and y coordinates must be related by ##R^2=x^2+y^2##.

Part a does not require a trajectory - but an equation of motion.
I suspect this is part of a section on Lagrangian mechanics?
Whatever: you want to start out by selecting a suitable coordinate system.

sorry for late reply, Yes the radius is given by r=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2 but I am still unclear of the trajectory. I will ask my professor for some more clarity :s

Yes the radius is given by r=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2
Then it is not a cylinder. It is a sphere.

No trajectory is required.
Imagine the particle is a small ball bearing trapped between two concentric crystal spheres separated by the diameter of the ball and the whole in free fall. The ball is constrained to move on the surface of a sphere.

Add gravity, and the ball would have SHM.

1. How does the motion of a particle on an open cylinder differ from that on a closed cylinder?

The main difference between the motion of a particle on an open cylinder and a closed cylinder is the presence of boundaries. In an open cylinder, the particle can move freely along the curved surface without any restrictions, whereas in a closed cylinder, the particle is confined to move along a closed loop.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a particle moving on an open cylinder?

The velocity of a particle on an open cylinder is influenced by several factors, including the radius of the cylinder, the angle of inclination of the cylinder, and the applied force on the particle. The shape and size of the particle also play a role in determining its velocity.

3. Is there a limit to how fast a particle can travel on an open cylinder?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a particle can move on an open cylinder. This limit is determined by the radius of the cylinder and the angle of inclination. As the angle of inclination increases, the maximum velocity of the particle also increases.

4. Can the direction of motion of a particle on an open cylinder change?

Yes, the direction of motion of a particle on an open cylinder can change. This can happen when the particle encounters a change in the curvature of the cylinder or when an external force is applied to the particle. The direction of motion can also change due to the influence of other particles present on the cylinder.

5. How can the motion of a particle on an open cylinder be described mathematically?

The motion of a particle on an open cylinder can be described using mathematical equations that take into account the radius of the cylinder, the angle of inclination, and the forces acting on the particle. The equations typically involve trigonometric functions and can be solved using calculus methods to determine the trajectory and velocity of the particle at any given point.