Particle sliding down a sphere - When does it leave the sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle sliding down a smooth and frictionless sphere of radius R. The question is at what point the particle will leave the sphere if it is slightly disturbed. The solution involves finding the height above the center of the sphere where the normal force of the sphere on the particle is overcome, using the equations F=ma=ΣF_i and F_norm=F_cent. By using conservation of energy, the solution is found to be at a height of (2/3)R above the center of the sphere. There was also a clarification that the problem involves a particle sliding down a sphere, not a ball rolling down.
Adoniram

Homework Statement

A particle is placed on top of a smooth (frictionless) sphere of radius R. If the particle is slightly
disturbed, at what point will it leave the sphere?

Homework Equations

Same as first question, just
F = ma = ΣF_i

The Attempt at a Solution

Similarly, we want to know when the normal force of the sphere on the particle is overcome:
F_norm = F_cent
mg CosΘ = (mv2/r)
CosΘ = y/R (where y is the height above the center of the sphere)

So:
y = v2/g

Finding v2:
Using conservation of energy, PE_initial = PE_final + KE_final
mgR = mgy + mv2/2

Solving for v2
v2 = 2g(R-y)

Placing into equation for y:
y = 2g(R-y)/g = 2(R-y)

Solving for y:
y = (2/3) R

Correct? Or am I making a horrible mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The title of the thread is "Ball rolling down a sphere". You solved the problem of a particle sliding down a sphere instead of a ball rolling down.

Likes berkeman
You're right, if I could change the original post, I would, but there's no "Edit" button. Could be an account permissions issue...

I can fix it. So the title should read "particle" instead of "ball"?

Yes, thank you, and an even better description would be "Particle sliding down a sphere" (instead of rolling)

Done! And thank you to @ehild -- I had the same question when I saw the thread and posted answer. :smile:

1. What is the force that causes the particle to slide down the sphere?

The force that causes the particle to slide down the sphere is gravity. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does the angle of the slope affect when the particle leaves the sphere?

The angle of the slope plays a significant role in determining when the particle leaves the sphere. The steeper the slope, the faster the particle will slide down and the sooner it will leave the sphere.

3. Does the mass of the particle affect when it leaves the sphere?

Yes, the mass of the particle does affect when it leaves the sphere. The heavier the particle, the more force of gravity it experiences, causing it to slide down the sphere faster and leave sooner.

4. Can the surface of the sphere impact when the particle leaves?

Yes, the surface of the sphere can impact when the particle leaves. A rough surface will provide more friction, slowing down the particle and potentially delaying when it leaves the sphere.

5. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate when the particle will leave the sphere?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula that can be used to calculate when the particle will leave the sphere. This formula takes into account the force of gravity, the angle of the slope, and the mass of the particle. It is known as the "escape velocity" formula and is often used in physics and engineering calculations.