Why Does a Rolling Sphere Climb Higher Than a Sliding Particle?

Use conservation of energy to equate this to the final potential energy at the maximum height, which is equal to the sum of the initial kinetic energies of the sphere and the particle. This will give you a relationship between the heights reached by the two objects. Finally, solve for the ratio of the two heights to get the desired result.In summary, using conservation of energy, it can be shown that the maximum height gained by a uniform sphere rolling without slipping up an incline is 7/5 times that gained by a particle sliding without friction. The masses of the objects do not affect this relationship.
connorc234

Homework Statement

A uniform sphere and a particle are sent one-by-one with the same initial speed up the same incline. Each rises to a maximum height before falling back towards the starting point. The sphere rolls without slipping; the particle slides without friction. Use conservation of energy to show that the maximum height gained by the sphere is a factor 7/5 times that gained by the particle

Homework Equations

I = (2/5)MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first part of the question I'm asked to prove the moment of inertia for a hollow sphere and then a uniform sphere. I've done that and gotten the above equation for uniform sphere. But I don't know to apply it in this case. I'm not given any masses for either body. Any help?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
connorc234 said:
I'm not given any masses for either body. Any help?
So plug in a (different) unknown for each mass and see where it goes. Just maybe the masses will cancel out later.

Like haruspex said, the masses don't matter, they'll cancel out. Keep in mind that the total initial energy possessed by the sphere will be comprised of rotational and translational kinetic energy.

Related to Why Does a Rolling Sphere Climb Higher Than a Sliding Particle?

1. What is moment of inertia for a sphere?

The moment of inertia for a sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the distribution of mass within the sphere and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a sphere?

The moment of inertia for a solid sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)MR², where M is the mass of the sphere and R is its radius. For a hollow sphere, the formula is I = (2/3)MR².

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for a solid sphere and a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia for a solid sphere is smaller than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed closer to the axis of rotation in a solid sphere, resulting in less resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia for a sphere affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for a sphere directly affects its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means that the sphere will have a greater resistance to rotational motion and will require more torque to rotate at a given speed.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a sphere be changed?

The moment of inertia for a sphere can be changed by altering the distribution of mass within the sphere or by changing the axis of rotation. For example, if a sphere is spun on a different axis, its moment of inertia will change.