Particles being in more than one place at once.

• Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particles being in multiple places at once and the relationship to quantum mechanics and astrophysics. There is a debate about the interpretation of quantum mechanics and the limitations of our senses in understanding these concepts. The conversation also touches on the role of mathematics in physics and the importance of observation and experimental confirmation.
jreelawg
Is this something we are sure occurs, or is that just the way it appears? How does this work?
Is this a sign of tiny microscopic unseen dimensions of some sort?

Physics news on Phys.org
why is this even related to Astrophysics?

This is related to the probability interpretation of the wavefunction, i.e this is quantum mechanics.

jreelawg said:
Is this something we are sure occurs, or is that just the way it appears? How does this work?
This is QM, but the concept is more like a particle can be anyplace.
Not the same as being in more than one place at once.
jreelawg said:
I think there is some Astrophysics (as well as some other areas) work being done on "rolled up dimensions".
I'm inclined to say that the words "tiny" and "microscopic" are not particularly meaningful in this context.

no where do we a particle in two places at the same time. that wavefunction is necessarily single valued.

jreelawg said:

This (IMHO absurd) interpretation of QM experiments comes for a difficult to understand lack of imagination from the part of many famous physicists. They are saying that the only way a particle passing through a hole could know if there is another hole close by is to simultaneously pass through that hole as well.

I wander how those physicists determine how many doors are open in a room. I would say that they should simply look around, not try to pass through all doors at once:smile:

Well, it appears to work that way via observed experimental results. Something "weird" is apparently happening; the underlying message from the experimental results is not so clear. The bottom line is that quantum mechanics does not conform well to our senses; on the macroscopic level, consider how odd it is that velocity changes distance (length contraction) and time (dilation).

Our senses are very limited; our brains less so.

Relativistic effects on distance obscure measurements on cosmic scales, for example; on the microscopic sub atomic level all sorts of ambiguities arise...momentum vs position,energy versus time, for example...all aspects of quantum uncertainty...there is much to learn.

Another "confusing" aspect of physics is that there is more math than apparently reflected physical reality. The only way we can usually be sure a formulation is "correct" is via observation and experimental confirmation. So math is a valuable tool, but not the ultimate arbitor. And when accurate it is subject to multiple interpretations. I can claim v=c for my rocketship, but that does not make it correct. And look what Einstein did taking results of Lorentz, Poincaire, and Riemann and seeing them differently: relativity!

Last edited:
For another view of "where to find particles" see Antitunneling thread right nearby here...

1. How is it possible for particles to be in more than one place at once?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. This phenomenon is known as superposition.

2. What evidence supports the idea of particles being in multiple places at once?

Experiments such as the double-slit experiment and quantum entanglement have provided evidence for the concept of superposition and the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at once.

3. What is the significance of particles being in more than one place at once?

This concept challenges our understanding of classical physics and has important implications for fields such as quantum computing and communication.

4. Can we observe particles in a state of superposition?

No, we cannot directly observe particles in a state of superposition. When we measure or observe a particle, it collapses into a single state, making it impossible to see its superposition state.

5. Are all particles capable of being in more than one place at once?

No, particles must be at the quantum level, such as electrons and photons, to exhibit the behavior of superposition. Larger objects, like humans, are not capable of existing in multiple states simultaneously.