Passive long range sensor using radio wave distortions?

In summary: You might be able to do this by broadcasting a pulse of electric field and measuring the residual field, but I'm not sure if that is possible or practical.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers,

I was thinking about how it would be possible to "scan" something without having visual or physical contact (and without have a superconducting magnet, etc...)

Lets have this device detect something conductive.
If a device were to emit an electric field pulse of very short duration, then wait and send out another pulse. The antenna would be surrounded by an array of sensors which detects the strength of an electric field in many, many locations. When the first wave encounters the metal object, the wave front will be distorted because of the conductive properties of the object. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the 2nd wave which hasn't propagated outside if the device yet also be distorted? The sensors inside the device would trace the contour of the wave front leaving the device and note any distortions which would be identical to those of the first wave. Utilizing the identical distortions inside the sensor and outside the device, one could effectively scan an object. This sensor wouldn't utilize wave reverberations/ bouncing.

My biggest concerns is the wave propagation velocity would be too high for current technology to detect. Also, the distortion of the first wave might not distort the second wave because both are traveling practically at the speed of light. Am I wrong?

An alternative to the above method is to broadcast a pulsed electric field, when the field passes through matter, it's atoms become polarized momentarily. A sensor in the broadcast device would measure the magnitude of the residual electric field using a 3D matrix of sensors with very high resolution. However, the residual field might be too weak to detect.

I realize this is a long shot...

-Tay

Science news on Phys.org
Trying to re-invent the metal detector?

I'm really not clear about your description and what you are trying to accomplish at the top level that is different than a metal detector.

I don't think waves distort other waves. I think that is what you are expecting. You can get interference patterns but the waves themselves don't interact, that is, transfer energy between themselves.

1. What is a passive long range sensor using radio wave distortions?

A passive long range sensor using radio wave distortions is a type of sensor technology that detects and analyzes radio wave distortions caused by objects in its vicinity. It does not emit any signals itself, making it difficult to detect and allowing for stealthy surveillance and detection.

2. How does a passive long range sensor using radio wave distortions work?

This type of sensor works by detecting changes in the natural radio wave patterns caused by objects in its range. The sensor measures the distortions and uses algorithms to analyze the data and determine the location, size, and movement of the object.

3. What are the advantages of using a passive long range sensor using radio wave distortions?

One major advantage is its ability to operate without emitting any signals, making it nearly impossible to detect. It also has a long range and can detect objects beyond the line of sight. Additionally, it can operate in all weather conditions and is not affected by interference from other electronic devices.

4. What are the applications of passive long range sensors using radio wave distortions?

These sensors have a wide range of applications, including military and defense, border and perimeter security, wildlife monitoring, and weather tracking. They can also be used in industries such as transportation, agriculture, and oil and gas for remote monitoring and detection of potential hazards.

5. Are there any limitations to using passive long range sensors using radio wave distortions?

One limitation is that these sensors require a clear line of sight to the object in order to accurately detect and analyze the distortions. They are also limited in their ability to provide detailed information on the object, such as its shape or composition. Additionally, they can be affected by natural phenomena such as lightning or solar activity, which can interfere with the radio waves being detected.