Patch of a surface in spherical coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to prove a mathematical equation involving an integral. They made a mistake in their work, using dS instead of S, and ended up with a volume instead of a surface area. The expert explains that to get the surface area, they need to divide by the infinitesimal thickness of the surface.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I am currently trying to prove:

S = ∫∫a2sinΦdΦdθ

Here is my work (note that in my work I use dS instead of S, this is an accident):
92zNaWh.jpg

I end up with:

S = ∫∫a*da2sinΦdΦdθ

Where da is the infinitesimal thickness of the surface.

Why am I getting the wrong answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

I am currently trying to prove:

S = ∫∫a2sinΦdΦdθ

Here is my work (note that in my work I use dS instead of S, this is an accident):
92zNaWh.jpg

I end up with:

S = ∫∫a*da2sinΦdΦdθ

Where da is the infinitesimal thickness of the surface.

Why am I getting the wrong answer?

You haven't computed S. You've computed the volume V=S*da. To get S, divide by the da.

Dick said:
You haven't computed S. You've computed the volume V=S*da. To get S, divide by the da.

I thought that if the volumetric shell thickness approaches zero you end up with the surface area?

theBEAST said:
I thought that if the volumetric shell thickness approaches zero you end up with the surface area?

If the shell thickness approaches zero then you end up with zero volume. To get the surface area divide by the thickness as it approaches zero. Maybe that's what 'volumetric shell' means.

Last edited:

1. What is a patch of a surface in spherical coordinates?

A patch of a surface in spherical coordinates is a two-dimensional region on a three-dimensional surface that is defined using spherical coordinates. It is typically represented as a small section or subdivision of a larger surface, such as a sphere or a portion of a curved surface.

2. How are spherical coordinates used to define a patch of a surface?

Spherical coordinates use two angles (θ and φ) and a distance (r) from the origin to specify a point on a three-dimensional surface. A patch of a surface can be defined by selecting a range for each of these variables, creating a two-dimensional region on the surface.

3. What types of surfaces can be described using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used to describe surfaces with spherical or cylindrical symmetry, such as spheres, cones, and cylinders. They can also be used to describe portions of more complex surfaces, such as sections of a torus or a paraboloid.

4. How is a patch of a surface represented graphically in spherical coordinates?

A patch of a surface in spherical coordinates can be represented graphically using a 3D graph or a 2D projection, such as a polar or azimuthal projection. The boundaries of the patch are defined by the ranges of the spherical coordinates.

5. What is the practical use of understanding patches of surfaces in spherical coordinates?

Understanding patches of surfaces in spherical coordinates is important in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, astronomy, and geology. It allows for the mathematical representation and analysis of curved surfaces, as well as the calculation of quantities such as surface area and volume. It is also useful in creating maps and visualizations of spherical objects or environments.