1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path integral over a function with image in a circunference

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]\vec{F}: ℝ^{2}->ℝ^{2}[/itex] be a continuous vector field in which, for every [itex](x, y), \vec{F}(x, y)[/itex] is parallel to [itex]x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}[/itex]. Evaluate [itex]\int_{γ}\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}[/itex] where [itex]γ:[a, b]->ℝ^{2}[/itex] is a curve of class [itex]C^{1}[/itex], and it's imagem is contained in the circunference centered in the origin and with radius [itex]r>0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know that [itex]\vec{F}(x, y)=a(x\vec{i}+y\vec{j})[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant, and we need to evaluate [itex]\int^{b}_{a}\vec{F}(γ(t))\cdot γ'(t)dt[/itex]. So?...

Thanks

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So how is the direction [itex]γ'(t)[/itex] points related to the direction [itex]\vec{F}(x, y)[/itex] points? What does that tell you about the dot product?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. May 9, 2012 #3
    [itex]γ '(t)[/itex] is a tangent to [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=r[/itex] at any given [itex](x, y)[/itex], but not every [itex]\vec{F}(x, y)[/itex] is perpendicular to the circunference, so the dot product has many possible values, and my argument must be wrong HEHE

Thanks

5. May 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think [itex]\vec{F}(x, y)[/itex] is perpendicular to the circumference, isn't it?

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    Indeed it is, my mistake. So I know that F and γ' are always perpendicular, hence the path integral is equal to 0. Now, how may I write this rigorously, I mean, not using just the geometric description?

Many Thanks

7. May 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could parametrize the circle. Write things in term of the angle at the value of the parameter t, θ(t). Then x=r*cos(θ(t)) and y=r*sin(θ(t)).

8. May 9, 2012 #7
    Nice. So let [itex]R=(r cos(t), r sin(t))[/itex], then R is a parametric form for [itex]γ[/itex], when we let r constant. Then we have [itex]\int_{γ}\vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}=\int^{d}_{c}F(R) \cdot R' dt=ar^{2}\int^{d}_{c}0 \cdot dt=0[/itex] for any d and c.

Is it correct?
    Thank you

9. May 9, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically, yes. But you shouldn't assume the parameter t is the same as the angle θ(t). If you work it out with a general function θ(t) you'll get the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook