Path of the particle on inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
101 replies · 8K views
TSny said:
The important thing is to find the direction of the friction force just before slipping.

If particle sits at rest in third quadrant i.e when T = 0 , then friction acts up the slope .

TSny said:
If ##\phi## is the angle that the string makes to the (negative) y-axis, try to find the angle between the string and the friction force in terms of ##\phi##.

The angle would be ##\phi## .

TSny said:
Also think about which way the particle is going to move when it slips.

The particle will try to move at an angle ##180° - 2\phi## with the -y axis measured CW .
 
Attachments
  • particle on slope.png
    particle on slope.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, your directions look good. But it seems to me that the arrows you added should be drawn at the particle rather than the hole.
[EDIT: I noticed that you did not draw the direction of ##f## very accurately. Your value of ##180^o - 2\phi## is correct. But if you draw this angle more accurately, I think you will see that ##f## points in a different direction.]

So I think you have the correct angle for the direction of motion of the particle. Let ##r## be the length of the string between the particle and the hole. You want to find the path of the particle. In polar coordinates, this would be ##r## as a function ##\phi##.

Suppose the particle undergoes a small displacement ##ds##. Can you find expressions for ##dr## and ##d\phi## in terms of ##ds##, ##r##, and ##\phi##?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
TSny said:
Let ##r## be the length of the string between the particle and the hole. You want to find the path of the particle. In polar coordinates, this would be ##r## as a function ##\phi##.

Suppose the particle undergoes a small displacement ##ds##. Can you find expressions for ##dr## and ##d\phi## in terms of ##ds##, ##r##, and ##\phi##?

##d\vec{s} = dr\hat{r} + rd\phi \hat{\phi}##
 
Vibhor said:
##d\vec{s} = dr\hat{r} + rd\phi \hat{\phi}##
What if you project this equation onto the direction ##\hat{r}##? onto the direction ##\hat{\phi}##?

This will give you two equations to work with.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
TSny said:
What if you project this equation onto the direction ##\hat{r}##? onto the direction ##\hat{\phi}##?

You mean I need to take dot product of ##d\vec{s}## with ##\hat{r}## and with ##\hat{\phi}## separately ?
 
##d\vec{s} \cdot \hat{r}= dr##

##d\vec{s} \cdot \hat{\phi}= rd\phi##
 
Yes, but the left hand sides can be expressed explicitly in terms of the magnitude of the vector ##\vec{ds}## and the angle between ##\vec{ds}## and the unit vectors.

Thus, you will need to know the angle between ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{r}##. Use your diagram (drawn carefully).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
The angle between ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{r}## is ##180° - \phi## and that between ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{\phi}## is ##270° - \phi## .

Is that right ?
 
Vibhor said:
The angle between ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{r}## is ##180° - \phi## and that between ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{\phi}## is ##270° - \phi## .

Is that right ?
No. Can you show a diagram with the forces acting on the particle and also show the vector ##\vec{ds}##?

Note that in the figure, I made ##\phi## roughly 30o. So, what is the approximate value of ##180 - 2\phi## ? Make sure you draw ##f## approximately in this direction. Then draw ##\vec{ds}## in the appropriate direction.

[EDIT: Sorry, Vibhor, your values for the angles are correct! When I worked through this part of the problem, I did not use the unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\phi}##. When I read your last thread, I had the vectors pictured in my head in their opposite directions.]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
So, since you got the angles correct, your diagram hopefully looks something like this:
upload_2016-6-12_23-50-10.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
So, using your expressions for the angles between ##\vec{ds}## and the unit vectors, try expressing the left sides of the two equations below in terms of the magnitude of the displacement ##ds## and the angle ##\phi##.

##\vec{ds} \cdot \hat{r} = dr##
##\vec{ds} \cdot \hat{\phi} = rd\phi##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
TSny said:
[EDIT: Sorry, Vibhor, your values for the angles are correct! When I worked through this part of the problem, I did not use the unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\phi}##. When I read your last thread, I had the vectors pictured in my head in their opposite directions.]

Ok

I got really discouraged reading your initial reply in #70 . But now I feel better :smile:
 
##-dscos\phi = dr ##

##-dssin\phi = rd\phi ##

From this I get ##\frac{dr}{r} = \frac{d\phi}{tan\phi}##
 
Vibhor said:
##-dscos\phi = dr ##

##-dssin\phi = rd\phi ##

From this I get ##\frac{dr}{r} = \frac{d\phi}{tan\phi}##
Great! The first two equations above can pretty much be read directly off the diagram. But using the unit vectors is good, too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
Integrating I get ##r=Csin\phi ## , where ##C## is a constant .
 
Does that mean distance of the particle from the hole is oscillating (alternately increasing and decreasing ) like a sine curve ?
 
I don't think so.
Perhaps the curve will be more recognizable when expressed in terms of the Cartesian coordinates of the particle (x, y).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
TSny said:
Perhaps the curve will be more recognizable when expressed in terms of the Cartesian coordinates of the particle (x, y).

Should I replace r =##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##\sin\phi = \frac{x}{r}## to express curve in cartesian coordinates ?
 
Almost. There's a sign error. (Of course you now know not to believe anything I say, but I really do think there is a sign error.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
Ok .

This gives ##\left( x + \frac{c}{2} \right)^2 + y^2 = (\frac{c}{2})^2## . This is a circle centered at ##(-\frac{c}{2} , 0)## and radius ##\frac{c}{2}## .
 
I believe that's correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
Ok .

In polar coordinates we measure angles anti clockwise from x - axis but in this problem we measured it clockwise from -y axis .Doesn't this make a difference ?

It is a very naive question but I am not too familiar with polar coordinates .
 
It doesn't make any difference as long as you make your definitions clear.

Does the particle end up where you expect it would?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor
TSny said:
It doesn't make any difference as long as you make your definitions clear.

Ok . Good point .

TSny said:
Does the particle end up where you expect it would?

I don't know . Even though I have got the equation of the curve , I can't imagine how the particle is actually moving (except it is moving in a circular fashion not centered at the hole) . I am still not sure how to determine constant ##C## .
 
Can you relate C to the place where the particle crossed the x-axis in going from quadrant II to quadrant III?
 
TSny said:
Can you relate C to the place where the particle crossed the x-axis in going from quadrant II to quadrant III?

But that depends on where the particle was initially ( at rest ) in the second quadrant . As it moves vertically down slope in the second quadrant .