Path of the particle on inclined plane
- Thread starter Vibhor
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
101 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor
- 971
- 40
Back to second quadrant .
I am still bemused by the fact that even if the string is pulled at some angle to the +y direction ( even though it is a very small magnitude Tension force ) at t=0 when the particle was at rest in second quadrant , the particle instead of going radially inwards towards the hole starts moving down slope .
Please explain it a bit more .
TSny said:In thefirstsecond quadrant an infinitesimal amount of tension will set the particle in motion. If the tension is kept essentially at zero as the particle moves at a slow constant speed in thefirstsecond quadrant, what direction does the kinetic friction need to act so that the net force is zero? If you know the direction of the kinetic friction, what can you say about the direction of the motion?
I am still bemused by the fact that even if the string is pulled at some angle to the +y direction ( even though it is a very small magnitude Tension force ) at t=0 when the particle was at rest in second quadrant , the particle instead of going radially inwards towards the hole starts moving down slope .
Please explain it a bit more .
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 14,826
- 4,810
I had to think about this, too. I attempted an explanation in post #42. I'll let you think about it some more. I'm shutting down for the night. Good work!Vibhor said:Back to second quadrant .
I am still bemused by the fact that even if the string is pulled at some angle to the +y direction ( even though it is a very small magnitude Tension force ) at t=0 when the particle was at rest in second quadrant , the particle instead of going radially inwards towards the hole starts moving down slope .
Please explain it a bit more .
- 42,978
- 10,571
With a bit of geometry, you can get the curve fairly easily from TSny's excellent diagram in post #71.Vibhor said:Ok . Good point .
I don't know . Even though I have got the equation of the curve , I can't imagine how the particle is actually moving (except it is moving in a circular fashion not centered at the hole) . I am still not sure how to determine constant ##C## .
The string makes the same angle to the 'vertical' through the hole as it does to the direction of travel of the mass. If you take the normal to the direction of travel, at the particle, and a horizontal line through the hole, these intersect at a point O. The string forms a chord of the circle centred at O and passing through the hole and the mass. The direction of travel is a tangent. So as the mass moves a short distance, its distance from O does not change. Having moved that distance, all of the above statements still apply, and with the same point O as centre.
Thanks TSny for taking over on this thread. I only have net access briefly each day at the moment (cycling Berlin to Copenhagen), and I'm sure I would not have found such a clear route to the answer.
Vibhor
- 971
- 40
TSny said:I had to think about this, too. I attempted an explanation in post #42. I'll let you think about it some more.
Couple of thoughts .
a) As soon as tension is applied on the particle the ,the direction of friction changes ( from up slope ) , but the direction of net force on the particle has to be downward such that the particle starts moving downward .
b) As soon as tension exists in the string , the equilibrium of particle is disturbed which causes it to move down slope . But why down slope ?
- 42,978
- 10,571
I assume you are referring to the case where the mass starts at a level above the hole. For any actual nonzero tension in the string, the motion of the mass will have a horizontal component towards the hole. But in the limit, as the tension tends to zero, that component tends to zero.Vibhor said:b) As soon as tension exists in the string , the equilibrium of particle is disturbed which causes it to move down slope . But why down slope ?
Vibhor
- 971
- 40
And why not vertical component also tend to zero and particle stays at rest instead of moving down slope ?
Vibhor
- 971
- 40
TSny said:In thefirstsecond quadrant an infinitesimal amount of tension will set the particle in motion.
Could you please explain how does tension (acting at an angle) causes the particle to move down slope . I have thought about it but I am still unsure .
Thanks
- 42,978
- 10,571
That can be answered by going back to the equation that allowed for arbitrary tension and acceleration you had before TSny joined the thread and generalising it to the case where the string is at some angle to the horizontal. You can take the limit as acceleration tends to zero and see that (where the particle is further up the plane than the hole) the path tends to the 'vertical'.Vibhor said:And why not vertical component also tend to zero and particle stays at rest instead of moving down slope ?
I don't know if there is another way to demonstrate it convincingly.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 14,826
- 4,810
Suppose the particle does not move parallel to the y-axis when in the second quadrant. What direction would the friction force point? Could the forces sum to zero in this case?Vibhor said:Could you please explain how does tension (acting at an angle) causes the particle to move down slope . I have thought about it but I am still unsure .
Vibhor
- 971
- 40
Thank you very much TSny . You have exhibited remarkable skills in solving this problem
. I really appreciate your help . Thanks again .
. I really appreciate your help . Thanks again .Similar threads
- CURMC
- · Replies 8 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 8
- Vidrinho
- · Replies 13 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 13
- Adam Johnson
- · Replies 4 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 4
- Patrica87
- · Replies 2 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- akapm90
- · Replies 12 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 12
- michelp
- · Replies 8 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 8
- Thermofox
- · Replies 41 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 41
- tellmesomething
- · Replies 22 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 22
- york
- · Replies 5 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
- ineedhelpthanks
- · Replies 8 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 8
. Enjoy and be safe.