Paying for PhDs in the US: Application Dates & Living Expenses

• Programs
  • Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, Phd students in the USA typically receive a tuition waiver and a stipend to cover living expenses. Applications for Phd programs are usually due in January, with some lower-ranked universities accepting applications until April. Entry times for Phd programs vary, with some universities allowing entry in January. There are many universities ranked second to top ones like Princeton, Harvard, and MIT in the field of math. It is generally easier to receive scholarships for public universities compared to private universities. Financial assistance for Phd programs can come in the form of teaching, similar to the program offered by Indiana University's mathematics department.
tgt
Do all Phd students in the USA get paid to cover for living expenses?

What are the latest dates for applications for Phd in the US each year?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of my friends, here and at other universities and I get tuition waved and stipend.

Yes, they do cover tuition and give you a stipend - if they don't give you this offer, look elsewhere. Most applications were due in January when I applied a few years ago; some of the lower-ranked state universities (who still have good programs in some fields) will consider applications through April - but I don't know of any that are still accepting applications for this fall. If you apply now, you might have a shot at starting in January.

eri said:
Yes, they do cover tuition and give you a stipend - if they don't give you this offer, look elsewhere. Most applications were due in January when I applied a few years ago; some of the lower-ranked state universities (who still have good programs in some fields) will consider applications through April - but I don't know of any that are still accepting applications for this fall. If you apply now, you might have a shot at starting in January.

What are entry times for a Phd (i.e In which months of the year are entries possible)?

Can anyone provide a list of universities second in line (in the field of maths) to top ones like Princeton, Havard, MIT etc?

Is it harder to get scholarships into private or Public unis?

When you talk about financial assistance, do you mean in the form of teaching like here http://www.math.indiana.edu/programs/graduate/financial.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Paying for PhDs in the US: Application Dates & Living Expenses

1. How much does it cost to apply for a PhD program in the US?

The cost of applying for a PhD program in the US varies depending on the university. On average, application fees range from $50 to $100. Some universities may also require additional fees for standardized tests such as the GRE or TOEFL.

2. When is the best time to apply for a PhD program in the US?

The application dates for PhD programs in the US vary by university, but most deadlines fall between December and February for programs starting in the fall. It is recommended to apply as early as possible to increase your chances of acceptance.

3. What are the living expenses like for PhD students in the US?

The cost of living for PhD students in the US can vary greatly depending on the location and lifestyle. On average, students can expect to spend between $12,000 to $25,000 per year on rent, food, transportation, and other expenses. It is important to research the cost of living in the specific city or state where you will be studying.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for PhD students in the US?

Yes, there are many scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for PhD students in the US. These can include grants, fellowships, and assistantships offered by the university or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

5. Can international students receive financial aid for PhD programs in the US?

Yes, international students can receive financial aid for PhD programs in the US. However, the availability of aid may depend on the specific university and program. It is important to research and apply for scholarships and assistantships specifically for international students.